This is how it's been with me and blogging lately... I can't brain. Maybe summer has something to do with it, or maybe it's the Facebook thumbs up, quickie status updates and various Facebook apps. Possibly it's a combination of it all. Giving a simple thumbs up to some one's Facebook status, photo/photo album or quiz result is so much easier than reading and commenting on a blog post. And making a 'top five' list or posting a quiz result is soooooo much easier than actually writing a blog post. But they're all just cheap substitutes, and I miss blogging, so I'm back - I think...
Here's the blog post I started July 3. It's obviously old news and even I don't care about anymore, but it contains two AWESOME/ICONIC 'Crying Indian' videos... so how can I not post it? I just have to fix a few things and write a little more. Maybe I can actually brain for a few minutes and finish...
While thinking on our way to Idaho, I had planned on writing an in-depth description of our amazingly exciting twelve hour journey, but now too much time has passed and it doesn't seem like it was actually all that exciting after all. So, I will not be giving a detailed account of some note worthy stuff that happened, like when we stopped at a gas station in Carlen to buy something sharp with which to pop the boil on Eva's bum that was bothering her (I settled on a miniature exacto blade - it was the only thing available) and the drama that ensued in said gas station's bathroom. Or about the spiritual moment I had listening to a Ray Charles and Aretha Franklin duet near Jackpot, Nevada, and how I contemplated what it would be like if they conducted the music for Sacrament meetings. Instead, I'll have to shorten the twelve hour drive post to only the stop we made in Imlay, Nevada, at the Thunder Mountain Indian Monument.
Most of the time, people leave behind little mementos of their lives for future generations, like photo albums, family heirlooms, quilts, small works of art, journals, etc.. And then other times people leave behind Indian Monuments in the desert made out of scrap metal, old appliances, cement sculptures, old cars, and beer and wine bottles. Such is the case with Frank Van Zant, a.k.a. Chief Rolling Mountain Thunder. He spent twenty years of his life building a monument to honor the plight of Native Americans, just off the highway on I-80, in a teensy weensy tiny little place called Imlay.
Usually I wouldn't stop to sight see on such a long drive, but I had allowed the girls to hook up Ella's i-pod, so it was time to take a break from the Jonas Brothers when Imlay came into view. Eva isn't in any of these pictures though because she was too creeped out and didn't want anything to with it.
What's so creepy about this?
Or this?
Or... oh, that is getting a little creepy...
Okay, that's creepy :D
This is detail of the south side of the main house which, as you can see, was mainly constructed with bottles. LOVE the toilet!!!
Chief Rolling Mountain Thunder was the ultimate recycler. I mean, he wouldn't be a phony like the rest of us if he were to be seen toting around, and or wearing, 'Go Green' products. But then, do you think he would actually buy something mass produced and made in China that said 'go green' on it to help save the environment and raise awareness? I don't think so. I think CRMT would raise awareness by just actually using a tote bag he already owned and wearing an old t-shirt.
I love rusty old junk in the desert
What does it mean and what does it have to do with Indians?
This brought back memories of my own banana seat bike from back in the day
My banana seat was pink with a large orange heart - this is me on my banana seat bike circa 1977
Sophie investigates beneath an Indian spirit
Ella
Is this Pompeii meets Imlay?
I love this picture
To say the Thunder Mountain Indian Monument was strange is an understatement. But on the other hand, it was kind of inspiring too. I had the distinct impression that Chief Mountain Rolling Thunder lived what he preached - whatever that was. You get the feeling that if he were a celebrity today giving advice like, "turn your heater down and put a sweater on", that he would actually be writing such advice from his cold modest Indian Monument home and wearing a sweater. Not from a mansion in Malibu or Beverly Hills with a ten car garage - and not wearing a sweater.
And all of this reminded me of something I hadn't thought of in YEARS - The Crying Indian. I wonder how much Iron Eyes Cody (rumored to actually be an Italian) inspired CRMT? Who didn't love these commercials? I mean really, who wasn't incensed when that fast food garbage so carelessly was tossed at the Crying Indian's feet? I would never do something like that - toss my fast food garbage at an Indian. How rude ;-)
But seriously, these two commercials, and especially those tears at the endings, are etched in my mind forever!!!
Oh yeah, baby, loved the crying Indian commercials. I wouldn't litter because I just knew he'd show up around a corner with those durned tears in his eyes.
Love the pictures and commentary! And glad you're back to blogging (for now).
I've been going back and forth between facebook and blogging too. I really like blogging a little better, but facebook is WAYYY easier and less time consuming.
I have passed by that Indian monument a few times, but we have never stopped. It does look really weird from far away-but kind of cool from up close. I love all your pictures and commentary. I feel a little inspired just from reading about your experience there.
I didn't know you could stop at Imlay to walk around that wacky house. We are DEFINITELY making a stop there on our next trek to Provo. Weird stuff! And I grew up in AZ off the Navajo/Hopi reservations so I remember that commercial well (even though he wasn't really Native American). Sup with that??? Love your photos! I keep stealing them and posting on my blog!
6 comments:
Yes, it was quite the scandal when we learned the crying Indian was no Indian at all. (Gorgeous photos, as always!)
Oh yeah, baby, loved the crying Indian commercials. I wouldn't litter because I just knew he'd show up around a corner with those durned tears in his eyes.
Love the pictures and commentary! And glad you're back to blogging (for now).
I've been going back and forth between facebook and blogging too. I really like blogging a little better, but facebook is WAYYY easier and less time consuming.
I have passed by that Indian monument a few times, but we have never stopped. It does look really weird from far away-but kind of cool from up close. I love all your pictures and commentary. I feel a little inspired just from reading about your experience there.
I had a long comment on those wonderful pictures, but my computer decided it would be a good time to shut down.
So I'll just say,
"Thumbs up!"
I think those commercials were slightly before my time, but I've seen references to them over the years. Glad to finally see the real thing.
I love that photo of you on the bike. You were such a cute little girl.
I didn't know you could stop at Imlay to walk around that wacky house. We are DEFINITELY making a stop there on our next trek to Provo. Weird stuff! And I grew up in AZ off the Navajo/Hopi reservations so I remember that commercial well (even though he wasn't really Native American). Sup with that??? Love your photos! I keep stealing them and posting on my blog!
Post a Comment