Wishful Thinking

Monday, June 29, 2009

He Really Does Love Me, Part 2

Remember back in January when my mom was sick and I went to stay with her for nine days and while I was gone Matt completely cleaned and revamped Eva and Sophie's room and I was completely shocked out of my head excited when I got home and saw it? Weeeeellllll, this time I took the girls to Idaho with me to visit my dad, and he completely cleaned and revamped the ENTIRE HOUSE!!!!!!! I have been born again people. I have been cleansed. I have seen the light and been healed. Coming home to that kind of surprise was like an out of body religious experience!

After my spirit had been reunited with my body, the first thought that ran through my mind was to hurry and invite someone over to stay for a visit. Then I decided it'll have to be someone who doesn't read this blog as to successfully give the false impression that I'm an awesome housekeeper. So sorry, none of you are invited ;-)

After all that ran through my head and I had made a mental note about whom to invite, Matt revealed to us that he hadn't done the cleaning himself, but that he had hired some ladies to do it all (he also had carpet cleaners do the carpets). My subsequent mortification at having not cleaned the bathrooms before the cleaners came over only lasted a moment though, as I looked closer at everything and realized it had all been deep cleaned. EVERYTHING!!! IN THE ENTIRE HOUSE!!! That realization soothed all the mortification away really fast! This is the first time in my life we've ever had housekeepers come - and I really really really really really really really really really really really really really liked it a lot. Did I mention i really liked it a lot?

This is just what I needed to get me going on my extreme brain makeover, which I never did get around to after that little semi-annual pity party was over, cuz I forgot all about it after a day or two and reverted back to my normal lame-o self...

So thank you Honey for such a wonderful and thoughtful surprise! Happy Father's Day - here's the post I was working on while we were in Idaho, but which I never posted because I was experiencing writer's block and couldn't come up with the right words to finish what I wanted to say. But here it is in rough draft form:

Beins (I couldn't think of a better word/non-word) how Sunday was Father's Day, I did the logical thing and left for Idaho with the girls, leaving Matt at home alone - that's the kind of awesome wife I am :) Truth be told though, Matt seems to enjoy spending Father's Day without us (we were here in Idaho last year too) because I can't make him go to any family functions that way and he can spend the day watching golf and napping in complete peace. And I made sure to stock up on Honey Smacks cereal for him, so what more could he ask for really? ;-)

Here are messages from the girls written on the way to Idaho on Sunday...

Dear Father,

You are the bomb diggitiest dad ever! Thanks for everything you do for us! I ♥ you and hope you have an amazing Father's Day! :)

♥ Ella

Dear Dad,

My favorite memory with you was when we went on the Double Shot together at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Happy Father's Day, Love Eva

You are the best dad in the whole world! I ♥ you, Sophie

Can you believe he did all that after being abandoned on Father's Day? I hesitate to tell what happened on Friday, the day after we got home, because it will certainly make anyone reading this a little more jealous than he/she already is... don't hate people, but Matt suggested that I take the girls to the lake so he could finish some paper work he needed to do without all of us around distracting him... so we headed up to the lake Friday afternoon. It was tough after having been out of town for five days, but somehow I managed to mustere the energy to sit on the beach and chat with friends for a couple hours - I'm a pillar of strength like that. Then at 8pm, we went to a Gladys Knight concert which was my Mother's Day gift. Gladys was great of course, just as I expected she would be. But the entire week actually felt more like a Mother's Day celebration than a Father day celebration, so to make up for it a tiny bit, I want to dedicate this song to Matt - THANK YOU - you're the best thing that ever happened to me!!!

p.s. Gladys had a Pip along with her (her brother, he's always on the right), and that was a very special treat! He was Pippin' like he was still 25 years old :D They don't do dance moves like that anyomore :( Here's one of my favorite Gladys Knight and the Pips song with some flippin' sweet Pip moves. Enjoy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I am the best dad, husband, breadwinner,house cleaner, concert companion, sugar daddy, lover ever!! Thanks for the reminder.

Love ya!

Kristina P. said...

What a lucky lady you are!

I think I want to hire someone once, to do a deep clean. Our house is disgusting.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Wow! That is amazing. And it cracked me up how you wrote. You are so cute. Anon must be your sugar daddy.

I am so jealous. So so jealous. And mad that I'm not invited to your house just because I read your blog.

Danila said...

That's one awesome hubby you've got there! I think you better keep him.

sara said...

So, you wouldn't consider renting him out would you?

Just a thought...

Anonymous said...

Dang it Matt, you're making us all look bad.

Thanks for the videos, I'm practicing my pip dance moves now.