Wishful Thinking

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

He Really Does Love Me

Either that, or he was really tired of looking at the mess spilling out of Eva and Sophie's room when he reached the top of the stairs. I happen to think it was because he loves me though. When I came home last night from being at my mom's for nine days, I was greeted with a completely organized and revamped kid's room! Oh how my heart soared!!! I mean really high! I feel like a new person, like a weight has been lifted, as if I can do anything in the entire world to which I set my mind - like clean my closet and finish the garage. Oh the joy! All the clothes have been gone through, the old and unused toys gotten rid of, the closet cleaned, drawers organized, and under the bed cleaned out.

But you know what else was wonderful about my homecoming? There was a huge pile of clean laundry on the bed to be folded, a huge pile of dirty laundry needing to be washed, homework unfinished, a spelling test failed because it hadn't been studied for, boxes and boxes of cold cereal that made up the bulk of their nine day diet, and several appointments missed. See, he did something extraordinary that made me very happy and has motivated me to finish some things that need to be finished already, but then he didn't do such an extraordinary job with everything else as to put me to shame. So nice of him to not have been a perfect mother - that would have been depressing. It was just the right balance of keeping the kids alive/happy (okay, way better than that), getting them almost everywhere they needed to be, and doing something for me that I'd been dreading and putting off for a long time. It was so lovely, I let him know exactly how glad I was to be home :)

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, so cool when hubby's do something wonderful and unexpected (but not too much as to shirk our Awesome Mom badges)

Visiting from Crash and just wanted to say Hello!

Our Family said...

You gotta love a man that can find just that right balance~

Danila said...

What a great way to welcome mom home! Got to love it when hubby's know exactly the right thing to do and the kid's room of all things! That's pretty impressive! Kudo's to Matt!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Oh how cute.

The perspective especially.

And I don't want to hear TMI about how you showed him just how happy you were to be home. ;)

Barbaloot said...

Wait...is there something wrong with cereal making up a bulk of a diet? Yikes...

Julie said...

Ella just rolled her eyes & thought "UGH...get a room!"

(at least that's what Austin would have done! and I just laugh and know that secretly they are just happy that their parents like each other)

Laura said...

You are one lucky woman!

nevadanista said...

Geez people, get your minds out of the gutter! I gave him a Hallmark card ;-)

sara said...

You are so lucky! What a nice treat!

My Diary said...

What a sweetie.

Heidi said...

You have an awesome attitude!

Kristina P. said...

I'm pretty sure I will forever be associated with the Snuggie. I don't know if that makes me ecstatic or slightly sad.

Jenn G. said...

Wow, he's da man!!! Did he hire a professional organizer. :-)
How is your mom doing?

J-Lo said...

OK, so I am slowly climbing back onto the face of the earth after dropping off of it for 6 weeks and, man, I've missed reading your blog!!! I have only read this most recent post b/c my screaming baby won't tolerate me catching up on all 16 posts I've missed. He was sitting in my lap screaming while I read it (still trying to decide if it makes me a better mom to let him scream in my lap instead of in his bed) and then Aretha's "Send Me" came on your playlist. I turned up the volume and danced with him and he calmed right down. I am happy to report that he is now asleep in his bed. However, that means I must expeditiously put myself to bed since he will no doubt be up WAY before I'm ready for him to be. I'll try to squeeze another post or two in tomorrow:) Thanks for giving me something to look forward to!

nevadanista said...

J-Lo! You've come out to play again, yay. So happy to see you here again, and I'm honored to have helped put little Joe Cypress to sleep :) Hope to see you again soon!

My mom is better jenn g, but the infection is still lingereing apparently, and I'm here in Susanville again tonight.

Randi said...

What a guy! And apparently you are what a woman!! ;)

Sheri Willardson said...

I LOVE moments like that when our sweet husbands help out.