Wishful Thinking

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Birthday Weekend Blowout, Rachel's Travel Guide Edition, Part 3, the Finale

Image overload warning!!! But I need to get this birthday bash over with already, so I'm doing it all in one post. And I just don't believe in photo brevity anyway. Brevity may well be the soul of wit, but it's not the soul of a pictorial - or my blog :)

I'm still in Susanville by the way. My mom is gaining her strength back slowly but surely, and I'm caught up on all the chick flicks I've been meaning to watch! And then some. I should be going home on Monday.

Now, on to lots and lots of pictures :)

Photobucket

Cable car still adorned in its holiday decor. I wonder if that man is using the Nikon D-90 I've been dreaming of?

Photobucket

Looking down California Street from the sidewalk. The Cathay House Restaurant pagoda facade and The Bay Bridge are in view.

Photobucket

View of California Street from our table at The Cathay House.

Photobucket

We also had this to view, and also siting below this church, a little old Chinese man playing his little ehru. He was playing 'Auld Lang Syne' both times we passed him.

Photobucket

The Transamerica Building from Chinatown.

Photobucket

Matt finds souvenirs for the girls in Chinatown - soapstone Chinese zodoac stamps with their names personalized in Chinese

Photobucket

Hopefully, he didn't carve anything vulgar.

Photobucket

Grant Street

Photobucket

This shop looks inviting and beautiful, but most stores in Chinatown are filled to capacity with pure cheap junk - and guess where it's all made? Chinatown must hold a record for cheap junk per square foot. But it sure is festive!

Photobucket

Photobucket

The lanterns are lit at night

Photobucket

I could walk the streets of San Francisco all day just looking at fire escapes. I would save all the drama in my life for a fire escape if I had one. I would talk on the phone on my fire escape, read books, get a tan, think deeply, cry, be happy, commune with God, solve the mysteries of the universe, yell at the kids from it, maybe even take a nap on it - if I didn't have so many sleeping issues. After dark, it would be like The West Side Story meets Breakfast at Tiffany's west, and Matt would sneak up to see me and declare his love for me under the stars. Then we'd sing a sweet duet before he goes off and accidentally kills Bernardo while trying to stop a rumble between the Jets and the Sharks. Then I would grab a little guitar (Ella's) and sing 'Moon River', and then I would go save Cat in the rain. Then I would grab the laptop and blog about all the drama in my life from my fire escape. I don't think I would hang my laundry out to dry on it though, because I don't like hanging laundry out to dry. In fact, I don't like laundry at all.

Photobucket

A Street in the North Beach Neighborhood, just west of Chinatown

Photobucket

There was a wonderful little record store in North Beach. Do you remember that I love nesting dolls? But what I really wanted was that microphone! I could sing some pretty awesome karaoke with it!

Photobucket

A lovely bride with Sts. Peter & Paul Church in the background, North Beach

Photobucket

Pizza fans waiting their turn to eat the best pizza EVAH!

Photobucket

On the outside looking in (an Oingo Boingo flashback)

Photobucket

Can you believe he doesn't write, or even read poetry anymore? He only did that when we were dating to impress me, because he's sweet like that :)

Photobucket

There are no words. 'Nuff said...

Photobucket

Photobucket

An inviting alley

The next morning, on my actual birthday, breakfast was delivered to our door, Matt served it to me bed, we ate, and then took a nap :) But it was soon time to check out and go pick up the girls at Marv and Joanie's (in-laws). When we arrived in the afternoon, they had a delicious birthday meal ready for us - shrimp pasta, tri-tip, vegetables, salad and garlic bread. It was a lovely ending to a lovely weekend! Thanks Marv and Joanie for watching your grand-kids ;-) Was wonderful of you!

Photobucket

It's always a crap-shoot when you ask a stranger to take a picture for you

p.s. Nie Nie's new post made me cry

15 comments:

Super Happy Girl said...

Uh, excuse me, those pictures are just awesome! You took great shots.

"left over pizza not a book" made me :D

Congrats again!

Our Family said...

I wish we could have been there too after seeing the pics! Fantastic!

Sheri Willardson said...

Well, I'm not a big fan of San Fran, but all your cool pictures actually make it look like an enchanting place. I really need to go back and visit Chinatown....

Laura said...

Mmm, looks lovely. Lucky you!

nevadanista said...

Ummmm, Sheri, methinks you're off your rocker...that's crazy talk! You're not a fan of San Fran?!?! But it is enchanted. I'm putting you under observation girl :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Rachel, Can I tell you how much I enjoyed my little vicarious vaca to SF! It is absolutely one of my favorite places ever. So many memories and your photos are beautiful.

Have you ever been to Sam Woo's?

I would live across the alley from you and gossip across our fire escapes, we could even borrow groceries and diet coke from each other.

nevadanista said...

Oh, that sounds wonderful Harlene! We could string a couple of cans together (so much more personal than texting or shouting our gossip) and have a slumber party!

p.s. lately I've been liking diet pepsi better than diet coke...

Alyson | New England Living said...

What wonderful pictures you captured! Though I didn't know you were a Nikon girl. Don't know if we can be friends anymore. ;)

Wonderful birthday. Sounds fantastic and that stamps sound really cool.

Anonymous said...

Rachel- I have never wanted a fire escape so badly in my life!!!

plus Transmerica building is very cool

as Grant Street picture.

and I think that guy was using the D790300 top of the line camera thing you wanted.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Oh what an awesome post. You quoted Shakespeare and alluded to WSS and BAT all in one shot. YOU go, girl.

LOVE ALL THE PHOTOS!

The Crash Test Dummy said...

P.S. I loved NieNie's new post too.

Harlene said...

I forgot to mention, we have THAT same microphone. If you come visit me EVER, you can record something in my loft on it!!!!!

nevadanista said...

Geez Harlene! Why did you have to go and tell me that? Why did you have to go and move to freakin' Utah and build a recording studio in your loft without me? When are you moving back?

I am so going to cut my first single in your loft next time I'm in SLC!!! :)

You're all invited to join our sleepover on my fire escape! Bring Diet Pepsi :)

Jenn G. said...

Has National Geo called you yet? Awesome photos!
Happy Obama Day!

Sheri Willardson said...

I will have to tell you my scary San Fran story someday. I did not have a good experience visiting there. But all the sights really are amazing. Too bad you can't go and enjoy all the sights without all the crazy people there.....