Wishful Thinking

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Matryoshka Fixation

I ♥ Russian nesting dolls, a.k.a Matryoshka dolls. Who does not love them? And what little girl would not want one? It's getting close to Christmas, so a couple days ago I decided to look for another one on e-bay for Sophie (she doesn't know it yet, but she's started a collection). Sophie ♥ ² (that's loves squared, which is A LOT) Russian nesting dolls, and she can play with them for hours!!!

This is an arrangement of toys Sophie left out a couple nights ago. I really liked this one (she does a lot of animal/doll arrangements), because it looks like the animals have come to worship at the feet of the Matryoshka.

In these photos, Sophie lovingly adorns her dolls and animals with the costume jewelery of those who have passed - Aunt Eileen's and Grandma Ruth's. I think this would make them happy.

But back to e-bay and Christmas shopping. E-bay has hundreds of nesting dolls to choose from and I love so many of them, it's difficult to decide on one. Not only that, but when I look at them, I want to become a collector myself, and I completely forget I'm shopping for Sophie. I'm not a 'collector' of anything really, but I could get into collecting nesting dolls. Since the fall of the USSR, I've wanted one that features Soviet dictators. The demise of communism in eastern Europe made me very happy, but mostly I want one because of Mikhail Gorbachev's birth mark.

I just want it!

This Lenin with Stalin wouldn't be bad either.

But then I saw this one

and I was smitten.

A Che Guevara nesting doll would be just the thing to tie the family room together.

Geez, what's wrong with me? Why do I want to collect dolls of the world's worst dictators? It's inexplicable really. But I would draw the line at Hitler, because that would be extremely poor taste, whereas having the others would just be regular poor taste. I think. Maybe I need help. Let me know.

Checking out all the dolls on e-bay made me want to become an obsessed fan of groups like KISS, Nirvana, Queen, U2, and Guns N Roses, just so I would have a reason to buy their dolls.

And then I realized the doll that's missing. The doll I really want to start my collection with - even before Che...

The Sarah Palin doll! I've come up empty handed in all searches. This is the closest thing, and their only using her name.

So get busy with it doll makers!!!!! I want Sarah sitting next to my Che Guevara in the family room. That would really throw visitors for a loop - not that we have visitors. But maybe I'll start inviting.

Here's my resquest. Sarah as the largest doll, of course, with her classic LensCrafter look. It should also have scenes from her life such as, Sarah hunting, a pipeline, a half completed bridge going nowhere, Sarah running track, and a beauty pageant scene. Next would be the First Dude, Todd. He's pretty handsome, I have to say. He needs to be looking hunky on a snowmobile, and a scene at home being a stay-at-home dad. Whose the oldest boy? Track? He needs to be in his military uniform. Bristol should be pregnant, of course. Don't know much about Willow - have to think about that one. Piper needs to be licking her hand, and Trig needs to be receiving the licked hand. And last but not least, the last doll should be a teensy weensy tiny little John McCain.

So get crackin' on it Matryoshka doll makers. I'll pay good money!!!!

Now back to shopping for Sophie...

11 comments:

Harlene said...

Have you seen the sight where you can design your own nesting dolls? You could even have YOUR family done.

I totally miss Sophie!

Julie said...

hey one of Scott's grad-students is going there in a couple of weeks and we already have asked that she pick up some nesting dolls for us. Scott got about 20 of them over the years on his trips there...because I too LOVE them!

Randi said...

You're cracking me up here. Nesting dolls? really?

Anonymous said...

I love them toooooo! Really. I don't own any. but I probably could if I bought some.

Crazy Mama said...

LOL - Oh I know what you are getting for Christmas!! But the tag on the box will say TO: Sophie!! Hey - you didn't get tagged because I thought you didn't like the tag game?

Jen said...

Don't know where you can get the Sarah Palin nesting dolls, but this site might tie you over....


http://www.addictinggames.com/sarahpalindressup.html

nevadanista said...

Am I really that transparent Trisha? I'll have to work on that.

About the tag thing - apparently you didn't take me seriously when I wrote, in my post about YOU, which made you feel like a rock star, that I would blog about you on the condition that you only ever tag ME! So what's the deal with tagging all those other people? Yeah, I may not do the tag, but I still want to be invited to the party ;-)

Harlene, it might not be a good thing that you've told me this. I'm mapping out my entire life's story to be told on my nesting doll now.

I'm not sure I should look at a website called addicting games Jen. Is it safe for me to go to such a place. I'll have to think about it. Thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

you're my woman... I want to thank you...

name the song!!!

sorry I couldn't resist. noticed you like Van Morrison!

nevadanista said...

Shellie, I really really really like him, so you'll have to give me a harder one than that ;-)

You're My Woman - Tupelo Honey

Here's one for you

"She's got fine sense of humor, when I'm feeling low down"

Young Family said...

Okay so you are so funny! I love all of your commentary. Sophie is such a creative kid! I think you will have to start making your own nesting dolls.

nevadanista said...

Thanks Andrea! I sometimes fear I'm exposing too much of my weirdness.

I e-mailed you last week, but I think it may have gone into your spam box?