Stolen Item
It didn't occur to me that I had hot filters in my possession until after I was at home, had dismantled the top of the aquarium that I was thinking of replacing and that was intended to receive the new filters, been distracted by seeing the Bio-Wheel that also needed replacing and shopped for one online, discovered the aquarium light had burned out, melting its plastic protective shield, and then talked to Matt about maybe getting a smaller, freshwater aquarium that wasn't so much work. It was at this point that I held up said hot filters, and realized I had no memory of buying them. I didn't bring them into the house in a bag, and I didn't have a receipt. At Petco, I had spoken for about 10 minutes to a salesperson after picking them up, and left immediately after our conversion, in which she informed me that I needed to order a new Bio-Wheel online. Apparently I was thinking deeply about the Bio-Wheel, and forgot to pay! Surely this is a good reason for shoplifting! Keeping a package of fish aquarium filters that I'm not even gonna use (I did indeed decide to go with something smaller and easier) isn't at all tempting though. So my dilemma now is how to return them. I'm torn between two options. One, risking embarrassment by just handing it over to an employee and telling him/her of my lameness, or two, sneaking it out of my purse and back onto the shelf, risking possibly being mistaken as a shoplifter. I'll probably go with the second option to keep myself from looking like a dork, so if you see my name and perp photo in the paper Thursday, please refer the authorities to this post. But if you don't see me in the paper, I may be feeling a little giddy about my new found skillz, so give me a call if you need anything lifted - we can negotiate my cut.Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Shoplifting 101 - A Lesson For The Distracted Person
Because I am constantly in deep thought, coming up with solutions to today's most perplexing problems, like how to achieve world peace and economic security in this century's global economy, or pondering important issues like Star Magazine's 46 Best & Worst Beach Bodies issue (on news stands now), I sometimes get distracted from the task at hand. Today for instance, I was thinking deeply about whether or not I should go to trouble of fixing up a saltwater fish tank that isn't that old, but is a real pain in the butt, or just getting a new smaller one that would be easier to maintain. This deep thinking caused me to actually shoplift a package of fish aquarium water filters from the Petco on South Virginia, next to Best Buy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!! I can just picture it now.....with Mission Impossible playing in the background, you and your oversized purse with said stolen good easily accessible, nonchalantly browsing the aquarium filter isle waiting for the right moment when the employees and cameras aren't watching.....
Can I go with you and watch PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE?!!!
HOWWW many times have I walked out of a store with something in my cart that didn't make it to the rotating belt at the cash register (usually a child sitting in the basket holding said item or else in said basket) & it's usually THE item that I went to the store for and had to run back in and pay for it or a few times even hand it to the kid gathering up the carts because I didn't have enough time to go back & pay for it.
I would go with option 2 as well. I've noticed that being honest with store clerks doesn't yield the emotional reward it used to. I ended up with a "free" pair of shorts at Target one day and realized when I got to my car that the clerk didn't scan them before bagging them with the other things. I took the time to go back in the store to customer service, but the lady was less than appreciative when I explained the clerk's error. I left thinking, "Would a bank error of $7.50 in my error really have made a difference in the grand Target scheme of things?" I have to say that I did sleep better that night:) I wish you the same intrinsic reward upon completion of your fish filter mission.
This is hilarious!!! If you have a child under 3, you could opt for a 3rd choice: BLAME IT ON THE KID!
now THAT has happened to me many times . . . i let the kids hold one of those mini-stuffed animals in the store to keep them happy with the full understanding that it WILL NOT BE PURCHASED and then as i'm buckling them in their carseats realize they still have it. we always return them of course . . . but it is so nice to be able to blame my absent-mindedness on a little one who really doesn't mind.
good luck with your MISSION! we will expect a follow-up report!
Good luck with your mission. Remember, this blog will self-destruct in 10 seconds . . .
I've found that clerks think your high or something when you go back to pay for something your kids were sitting on in the cart. And yeah, it would've been nice to have my kids there to blame, but they were all in school :D I was all alone - just me and my thoughts.
Post a Comment