Wishful Thinking

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

New Project and the Miracle that is Google Earth

Google earth is a miracle. You really can zoom in on 'stuff', like my childhood home for instance, where my step-dad still lives, and where my childhood backyard is now littered with Buicks. In my youth, there were only 4, maybe 5 retired cars in the backyard, and an RV on the front lawn that was only just removed a couple years ago (it's mentioned in this post). Now there are 13 (I believe the car in the front driveway doesn't run, and there's one in the shade as well), and room for more it looks like. You could say he's OCD - to an unfathomable degree. But I'm not posting this talk about that, so much as I do to kick off a series about all the places (houses) I've lived, which is twenty, I think. I got on google earth a couple years ago and mapped out each place, but it's all on our other computer. I could ask my mom where I started (I don't remember exactly), but she's napping at the moment, and I'm itchin' to get started! So here, 134th Place in Hawthorne, California is where I begin.

Photobucket

We moved to this house when I was in the fourth grade, and moved out when I was in the tenth. I guess that means I only spent 6-7 years here, but it still feels like where I grew up in entirety. It's kind of like how you have the music of your youth (KROQ), a bishop of your youth (Bishop Burnell), a prophet of your youth (Pres. Kimball), the bike of your youth (red Scwhinn strand cruiser with handle bar pad for riding double), etc.. This is the house of my youth!

Photobucket

A closer look reveals the car of my youth, a yellow 1973 Buick Estate Station Wagon, lying in google earth repose behind the garage (to the left with rusted hood). It was retired to the backyard shortly before we moved out. And there it still sits. Oh the memories! They don't make 'em like that anymore! I posted some memories about that car once here.

And now my mom is awake and I'm off to cook something.

Oh, and I just might go hog wild crazy tonight watching American Idol - me thinks there could be a cat fight this season...

Part 3 of San Francisco has to wait until I'm home, where the rest of my photos are on the other computer.

9 comments:

Harlene said...

Hope your Mom is getting better every day!

Do you think American Idol is still worth it? I get tired of the really awful ones they put on for our amusement.

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. This is the craziest thing I've ever heard of. WOW! I'm in shock this is possible.

But I feel so close to you now. As we were neighbors or something.

LOVE the MUSIC! flashback!

LOVE NEVADANISTAS!

Julie said...

Wow...scary business with your mom! Glad you are there to be her nurse!

LOVE the picture of the house...cracked up with all of the cars in the yard!

Jenn G. said...

Okay Rachel, I'm beginning to think you're a stalker.....don't put my house on Google Earth......Big Brother watching! Ha!
Your mom is in my thoughts and prayers!

Laura said...

I'm a huge fan of Google Earth! When Jacob went to San Francisco, he'd call me on his cell phone, I'd log on to Google Earth, and we'd navigate the streets together. Except for the fact that I didn't get a shake with him at Ghirardelli, it was like I was there. Almost.

Sheri Willardson said...

Super cool. I'll have to check it out.

And I just posted about American Idol too. I LOVE that show! We'll have to talk. :)

Our Family said...

Just thought I would mention that we are a part of the David Archuleta fan club. I am not sure last year can be beat, what with two Mormons on there and all.

Tell you mom we hope she's feeling better!

nevadanista said...

Oh Khristine, Khristine, Khristine...we were David Cook fans. David Archuleta's dad's hats started to really bug me. Can we still be friends?

Thanks everyone! My mom is progressing, but slowly.

black bear cabin said...

Hey, you're only a couple blocks from my old house(that my mom still lives in :)
ill have to google mine...that was a fun trip down memory lane...good ole Hawthorne :)
cheers~
lisa