Friday, January 30, 2009
Homework Assignment and Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
Well, I've put off writing my heartwarming salt story for so long, that now it feels like homework...
...so let me put it off for just another minute longer to tell you about a fantastic concert I went to the other night :) Talking about concerts is so much more fun than doing homework!
I'm not sure if anyone's noticed, but I'm kind of a soul music fanatic - soul music as in the 'classic' soul/R&B of the 60' and 70's, not to be confused with contemporary R&B. Ya dig? Wednesday I went with a friend to see Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings (Matt was so nice to take over my duties again). Sharon Jones is truly a throw back to the way soul used to done!!! And the Dap Kings, her band, are brilliant! They are known for having backed-up Amy Winehouse on several songs, including 'Rehab'. But dang if Amy Winehouse doesn't just give me the creeps with her tacky black widow hair, those scary Cleopatra eyes and her self-harming ways! It's not the Dap King's fault though. They can't help it that Amy's a crack head who needs a lifetime of rehab. Sharon Jones on the other hand has herself together, and they're her band.
Anywho, the show was one of the best and most fun I've ever attended. Case in point, check this out. Sharon does the dance moves she did growing up - she's 53, which means this is inspiring:
She danced like this most of the night! She pulled people up on stage to dance throughout the night as well, but if someone was boring, she kicked him/her off :D
Then she did one of my my all time favorite songs, 'A Change Is Gonna Come'
This song (by Sam Cooke) is one of the greatest of all time in my opinion.
It was very dramatic and wonderful - although I don't really think Obama is going to put any money in my pocket ;-)
A friend I hadn't seen in years came with me. Actually, she lived across the street from us and I labeled her house in my Google Earth post a couple weeks back. She's Tracy. We've recently been in contact again thanks to facebook :) We had a great time catching up on our lives and visiting, and even though we've grown to be political and religious polar opposites, she's kind of like a family member you haven't seen for a long long time, but makes you feel like home because you did so much together as kids and she knows you so well. She was a huge part of my childhood, and it was lovely seeing her again - plus, she loves this kind of music too. Thanks for the fun Miss T!
So, it was a wonderful evening, and if you made it through all the videos, you're invited to come the next time I go see SJ&TDK :) And there will be a next time!!!
******************************************************
Okay, fun's over - on to my homework...
When my poor mother was released from the hospital, she was in a bad bad way! The infection that had gone into her blood and caused kidney failure had left her profoundly weak, and her asthma had become a problem from lying in bed so long. But they always send people home as soon as they're not on their death beds anymore, so home we went (to Susanville).
Okay, that's enough of that - I'm boring myself, sheesh...will finish it soon and liven it up a bit...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
That is one dancity-dance lady! She was working it. Cool music too.
Sorry to hear your mom has had to continue to go through soooo much. Any better yet?
I;m so glad you got to go to the concert, it sounds like you needed it!
How she manages that in those high heels, I just don't know!!
Ah, look at the white guy dance!
Tell the truth, which ine was you ;)
ine=one
...so home we went (to Susanville).
You get back in here and finish this story young lady!
That's some fancy dancing. Sounds like a fun concert.
Wow, you are too crazy classy cool! I just love you. Sorry I don't show it enough, but I think of you and miss you too.
So how is your mom now?
Thanks for the book recommedation. I'm anxious to read it.
Believe it or not, I have an aunt named Sharon Jones...but she's white and doesn't have a band.
No worries about the salt story. I still haven't posted Caleb's birth story and he's 7 1/2 weeks old now. I can definitely relate to the "homework" feel. Which, incidentally, is why I never completed the "7 Things" tag you sent me many months ago. It's not that I couldn't think of seven things, it just felt like homework. Maybe if it was a "one thing" tag, it would've seemed more manageable:)
The truth NCS, is that I filmed these videos. But had I been down front and asked up on the stage, she would have definitely wanted me to dance up there all night long with her :)
Okay J-Lo, I tag you with just one thing about yourself!
Wow! That lady has come moves! And she is shaking her goove thang in heels too, no less! Amazing.
Post a Comment