I've come up with a new concept for self-improvement - a brain makeover. I need one real bad! Operation Suck Less at Life was successful for about two days. All the days after that weren't much to write home about. You were all so nice though to say you love me just the way I am and that I don't suck at life, etc., but the fact is, is that none of you must live with the debris I leave in my fun wake - the unfolded laundry, the clutter on the kitchen counter waiting to be put away, the forgotten appointments, or only remembered at the last minute appointments, the oh yeah I'm supposed to cook dinner for my family moments, the garage, and the list goes on and on.
So, I'm going to do a brain makeover.
My brain is a horrible liar - or should I say instead, an excellent liar. It lies to me constantly and with impunity. I let it get away with just about everything. It tells lies as easily as often as it is distracted by bright, shiny and exciting non-productive extracurricular activities. It tells me everyday that if I put something important off to do something less important, that I will actually accomplish the important stuff later, and in a timely manner. It tells me that it's okay to go to Doughboy's Donuts again, because it will really, definitely, for sure be the last time this time. Three weeks after giving up Diet Coke, and after I had declared victory over DC on this blog, my brain told me that I could just have one - one little Diet Coke, and I would be able to stop. My brain tells me every night at bedtime that I should stay up late again after everyone's gone to bed - that I won't be tired in the morning, and every night I believe it. So, do you see now what a liar my brain is? I won't stand for it any longer!!! My brain needs an extreme makeover so my mind can be at ease.
Remember this old anti-drug public service announcement:
Well that is my brain when my mind tries to not let my brain be itself. This is going to be hard people... it's gonna really hurt my brain to do this. But as I was pondering the possibilities a few nights ago, what I'm capable of, my potential, something from and old ABC After School Special popped into my mind, which was, "you can do it Duffy Moon, you can do it".
****************************************
On a different note, I have some extraordinary news about the little wild pony Kailee, whose drama I wrote about a few weeks ago
here. Last week I took a drive back where the horses hang out to look at the new ones - there are quite a few that are VERY new :) While I was out there, I spotted the two ladies seen in my pictures, whose names are Debbie and Mona. They informed me that Debbie (with the darker hair in my pics) had since adopted Kailee through the wild horse adoption program, and that Kailee is now being boarded over near Windy Hill, and has a new BFF named Smokey. Debbie e-mailed me this pic.
Kailee and Smokey just chillin'
Debbie has invited me to visit Kailee, and I think I will very soon :)
Debbie and Mona also filled me in on some details of the day Kailee was snatched from the jaws of death (remember, I had to leave the scene early on. They were there until 5 pm - I left at about noon). Apparently it wasn't really the government person who saved Kailee like I thought. It was actually Mona's idea to try an enema. They didn't have one handy, so she ran down to Long's Drugs and purchased two. Poor Kailee was so far gone at that point that she didn't even flinch through either - they gave her both. Within a half an hour, she was on her feet again, and shortly after that, she was nursing. Wow! I just love that story!!! I think Mona and Debbie truly are horse whisperers.
Congrats to Debbie on owning her very first horse!
Okay, now that I'm finally done with this post - it always takes me much longer to blog than I think it will (stupid brain), I'm going to start my brain makeover and stop believing my brain's lies starting........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ now.
11 comments:
Please keep us informed on your brain makeover and your goal to suck less. Always a good one.
Huey Lewis had similar problems,,,Did he ever decide on a new drug?
you're an INSPIRATION to us all! your GREAT DESIRE to improve alone is
totally remember that "brain on drugs" commercial! i never did see that "Duffy Moon" one . . . but my husband CLEARLY did . . . he says it ALL the time! if you find it, you'll have to post it for me!
BTW, i started a "habit-a-week" improvement plan 38 DAYS ago and it is going better than any previous effort! it started with a 30-day commitment to give up sweets and when i had been successful one week, i decided to add something new every week. i moved onto drinking half my weight in ounces of water daily, then the third week was exercising every other day, then the next week was exercising DAILY (which has been scaled back to every-other day again . . . oh well on that one), and now i'm going to bed on time (which i should have begun with because you have a whole lot more discipline when you're not exhausted!!!) baby steps, you see! the best way to make progress! and we're cheering you on!
totally didn't finish my first sentence!
is . . . AWESOME!!! (there!)
I'm a list person...LOVE crossing things off the list! When the list is gone I can have a reward. Of course my brain is currently lying to me CONSTANTLY!! My house is a disaster...my ONE day of laundry a week ends up being finished in time to start again...yet I have read about 30 or 40 books so far this year because my brain keeps telling me that it will be better if I hurry and finish it and THEN do my work! Maybe I should send it to jail where it belongs.
Wow, I love the story on the horse. Good luck with your brain thing. Although, personally I don't find any reason for the makeover. Are you saying I shouldn't have laundry everywhere? I actually never folded the laundry from the last time I did it and now it's time to wash again. I've been pulling clean clothes out of the basket for the past 2 weeks.
Nothing wrong with that right?
Oh my goodness. We have the same brain disorder. The exact same one.
That could have been written by me (except the part about the horses.)
GOOD LUCK WITH THAT! Can't wait to see how your lobotomy goes. ;)
This was funny and, unfortunately, very relateable to all of us! Why did God create such crafty, often lying, brains in us? Ah, yes, I forgot..life is a trial yada, yada, yada. Why can't anything be easy? Even managing our brains is a chore.
My brain didn't use to be as bad of a liar, but then I had a baby and it took a turn for the worst. The bedtime battle is my biggest one right now. May the force be with you.
PS-I won't take it personally if I don't see a comment from you on my blog any time soon. I'll assume that means you're doing something productive:)
Our brains don't lie. It is more fun to be up blogging at 1am even though I have to drive my daughter to semiary in five and a half hours.
My brain also asks me all the time how come we can't go back to playing at the beach all day and just eating pizza.
Mothers don't let you kids grow up to be surfers. You can never take seriously the world's overly organized and productive view of life again.
I have totally come to grips with the fact that I suck and that I don't want all 7 habits of highly effective people. 2 or 3 are fine along with 2 or 3 habits of totally rocking, creative, disorganized fun people.
BTW, I just bought some really cool new Vans. I love living Califoria!
Your brains sounds slightly saddistic. Good look on the make-over!
And that picture of the colt is so cute. Such a shaggy creature:)
Post a Comment