*************************************************
It was both comforting and disturbing on Saturday when my sister called to tell me about how she had just driven away from a gas station with the pump nozzle still in her car. Down the street a little bit from the gas station, she checked her side view mirror before changing lanes, and there was the nozzle, still in place, with the hose dangling on the road behind it.
How does a person forget to put the nozzle back in place before driving away you ask? Well, she decided to go inside to get herself a Diet Coke while her gas was pumping, and then just hopped in the car and drove off when she came back out. Sounds about right to me, which is disturbing.
It reminded me of the time I accidentally left the car running in the parking lot at UNR, outside the speech therapy building. I was running late getting Sophie to speech therapy that day, so as soon as we arrived, I whipped right out of the driver's seat, opened the back door and helped Sophie put her shoes on and fixed her hair. Then, I rushed her into the building, signed-in, and looked around for her therapist. After the session was finally underway, I relaxed in the darkness of the observation area and watched Sophie in therapy. About fifteen minutes later, I decided I wanted to play around with my new i-pod, so I went out to the car to retrieve it. What a shock it was to discover that in my haste to get Sophie into the building, I had forgotten to turn off the car.
Janene and I are fascinatingly similar in our brain dysfunctions. We talk about it all the time, and constantly come up with self-improvement plans that, of course, we will start the following Monday :) And when our husbands are together and compare wife notes, the complaints are identical. It gets a little scary.
I've had some success over my struggles this week though. Last night for instance, I made it to bed at 11:30, and that was in the face of my lying brain telling me it would be a good thing to stay up again! Also, I have a new planner in which I have actually written something. I bought a thin one, as to not overwhelm myself. And Matt bought me a very thin Moleskin notebook to write lists in as well.
I've had those all too familiar failures however. It's often a case of the mind being willing but the brain being weak. I WILL NOT give up though... at least not until I am faced with the next tempting distraction, which could present itself at any moment :)
But for reals peeps, this is my goal for the week: 11 o'clock bedtime everyday!!!!!! My heart just skipped a beat as I said that out loud.


15 comments:
i once witnessed a car pulling away from the pump with the hose still attached....
did your sis have to pay for the hose?
Rachel, I love your sense of humor.
Ha, Ha, ha! Thanks for the laugh...good luck on your planner. Don't make too many list items, just the top two as to not get too overwhelmed!
I'll pray for you!
Did you hit a jackpot to pay for all those grillz? I'll be in full grillz next month!
Tell Sophie that I agree...those green bands are sick! I tried one of those small planners, but realized that with school functions, baseball practice, doctor's appts, husband, etc. that a full day, 8 1/2x11 planner is my only choice. Luckily, I'm still carrying my huge mom purses. Will that ever end? I have some really cute small bags!
BLONDE!!
Sophie has the most beautiful eyes-that is a GREAT picture of her.
The story about your sister was so funny-your blog is so funny. I love reading all of the brain disorder! :)
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right? Apparently, they were referring to my car keys. Taxi ride home, tow to Nissan, key with computer chip, reprogram car and new fob . . . man that added up to a big chunk of change fast. Fortunately after 20 years of marriage, Shelley has accepted that my brain has much too much going on to remember silly little things like keys, or what I went to the grocery store to buy.
Oh my goodness. That made me laugh so hard when I read about your sister looking in the rear view mirror and seeing the gas nozzle. ha hahahahahahhah I still can't stop laughing.
Oh my goodness!!!!
I think I have the same brain disorder.
I didn't know you were getting a braces jenn g. How long will you have to have them? Good luck with that :)
Tracy, you know how I am. I'd never fill an 8x11 planner. But I admire those who can and do! And I suspect most of the stuff in your mom bag is for you, right? :D If it were considered lady-like, I would just carry a wallet in my back pocket - I hate carrying a purse because I feel like I'm going to forget it somewhere, but a wallet in the back pocket just isn't an option.
Hahahaha Marc! That's why people like us can't marry people like us :D The only reason I don't lock my keys in the car on a regular basis is because my car has one of those key-less entry pad things. It's a real lifesaver!!! I don't know what I'll do if my next car doesn't have, especially since I'm so used to it now.
hats off to you! i know you can do it! though the best laughs come from the ditzy things we do! so don't stop altogether please! remember you have the pregnancy excuse too! MILK IT!
Hey, just wanted you to know, I haven't been around much lately but it's nothing personal. Hopefully I DON'T have the swine flu and I will be back on track reading everyone's posts!
Aren't sisters great? Your sister's story is hilarious. What did she do with the pump? I'd have been sooo embarresed to go back!
okay...so that brings up an interesting thing that I've occasionally pondered . . . what do they DO to someone who drives off with the hose?? Did she have to pay to have it fixed...or was she so embarrassed that she pulled over and hid the hose and drove away???
OK, she re-lived it again as she told Jim and me about the incident (on Tuesday) yes, Tuesday, was when she confessed to Jim. I thought she was going to wet her pants telling the story again. Got to LOVE her
Yeah, what did she do with the nozzle and hose...keep them as a souvenir???
Darn that Nell J. Redfield building at UNR. I think they keep my brain locked in a box in that building b/c I haven't been the same since grad school.
Post a Comment