Oil on canvas by Unknown 24" x 30" Acquired from trash in Boston
This single painting planted the seed that grew into MOBA.
The motion, the chair, the sway of her breast, the subtle hues of the sky, the expression on her face -- every detail combines to create this transcendent and compelling portrait, every detail cries out "masterpiece."
*****************************************
The Haircut
Mining the swirling currents between violence and personal hygiene, this piece captures the fear, the horror, and the hope intrinsic in that most mundane of human activities.
******************************************
In the Cat's Mouth
A comment on issues of power as experienced by those who dwell with feline pets. Is the artist consumed with or consumed by his love for this cat? Does he identify with the personality of the startling animal? Does the similarity between these inseparable cohabitants stop short at the nose? Or is he simply trying to observe a tree-lined avenue through a cat's eyes?
************************************
Sunday on the Pot with George
Can the swirling steam melt away the huge weight of George's corporate responsibilities? This pointillist piece is curious for meticulous attention to fine detail, such as the stitching around the edge of the towel, in contrast to the almost careless disregard for the subject's feet.
***************************************
Dog
A remarkable fusion of ski resort and wolf puppy -- stoical in his yellow-eyed silence, frozen beneath the ice-capped peak, Dog eloquently challenges the viewer to re-examine old concepts of landscape.
************************************
Mana Lisa
A cross-gender interpretation of the daVinci classic.
Mana Lisa's nose strikes nimbly, offsetting the dialogue between the foreground and profoundly varnished background.
Further, by deciphering this work's title, perhaps we can contribute to the growing body of Leonardo's anagrammatic discourse:
***************************************
The Two Fridas
Oh, hahahaha! Just kidding. This is a 'masterpiece' by Frida Kahlo, which is NOT housed in the Museum of Bad Art. It is the painting however, which according to the Facebook quiz 'What painting are you?', represents both me and Matt :) Here's what the result says:
You are a true revolutionary. You are rebellious and individualistic...... a dramatic person with many demons to work out. You feel everything intensely and struggle constantly to define yourself.
Hey, doesn't that sound just like us? We're such revolutionaries, ya know.
Las Dos Fridas was recently on display at the San Francisco Modern Museum of Art (which isn't all that different from the Museum of Bad Art, if you ask me - just pretentious as opposed to humorous).

9 comments:
Writer's block??? Don't you have a list of homework assignments from which you could choose? Love the art!
Thanks for the art "Frida!" The first one (Lucy)looks like Little Red Riding Hood in her 80's ...there's just a hint of a cape there! And I think the dog/ski resort one looks more like a Yeti & a seal. (Fun stuff! I love how the first one was taken from the trash...we got a lot of finds from the curb in Boston!)
I love weird art! Thanks for sharing these!
there are so many great things out there on the internets!
thanks for sharing this one.
ha ha ha ha ha Good fun!
I don't think you have lost your mojo-its in full force, honey! Love the art-seriously I am laughing out loud at some of those pictures (like the man on the pot. he he)!
Your pregnancy joke had me going. I was about to leave a comment on your facebook page about it-then I realized I had been played the fool. You got me!
I know J-Lo - but sometimes the shear amount of ideas I have for posts overwhelms me, and thus induces writer's block...
Hahaha Julie! That does kind of look like a cape, and when you mentioned it, I thought maybe it was for a second. But if you look closer, you can see her hand resting on a chair handle. The red is the back of a chair :D
But I think you're so right about Dog looking like a Yeti/seal!
Thanks Sheri :)
Hee hee hee, those are funny paintings. That dog one kind of freaked me out though. Thanks for sharing!
In the Cat's Mouth is my favorite.
When I was little I was both scared and fascinated by The Two Fridas. Still am.
Post a Comment