Wishful Thinking

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Wild Horse DRAMA!

Here's how it unfolded...

Photobucket

On Thursday, I went up in the hills to take a brisk walk and try out my newly repaired camera - the one that pooped out before Christmas

Photobucket

But mostly to try out my newly repaired camera

Photobucket

After a while, I noticed some of the horses were concerned about something, and had started to move in the direction of their curiosity, but I didn't see anything, and couldn't figure out what was bothering them.

Photobucket

Then, from the opposite direction, a truck full of hay arrived and they were distracted.

Photobucket

But still concerned

Photobucket

Eventually however, their stomachs won them over

Photobucket

But not without hesitating a few times first

Photobucket

I wouldn't mess with my favorite if I were you

Photobucket

They all gathered around the truck and patiently waited while the hay was unloaded. They seem to be very calm and non-violent when they're around the hay truck

Photobucket

A member of The Hidden Vally Horse Association gets friendly while feeding the horses

Photobucket

On their way out, going the opposite direction of the way they came in, the people from the HVWHA spotted what the horses were so concerned about - a horse was down. I went to investigate, thinking maybe it was giving birth

Photobucket

But it wasn't. It was a sick and dying pony, the one I wanted to take home to give a hot bath and cuddle up with back in this post

Photobucket

The two ladies knew all about her and had named her Kylie. She was born in September and has been suffering with an eye infection all winter, and her stomach was extremely bloated.

Photobucket

Kylie seemed to be dying a slow death, but would somehow muster the strength to stand up and walk a few feet at a time before collapsing again

Photobucket

She would collapse wherever she was - even right on top of the brush

Photobucket

But then she would rally and find the strength get up on her feet again

Photobucket

Only to collapse a few yards away, where she would be comforted

Photobucket

These nice horse loving ladies (and there was a gentleman with them too) began directing her toward the herd, in hopes of finding her mother who could nurse her.

Photobucket

But her mother wasn't around - the ladies knew exactly which horse to look for.

In the meantime, between all the stopping and starting, lots of phone calls were made to different veterinarians and government agencies. Taking care of sick wild horses is a convoluted process because they are federally protected. Not just any vet can help out, or even legally put one down. The fear was that she would be eaten alive by coyotes before the right person arrived.

Photobucket

And this was how things stood when I left the scene - thinking she would be coyote dinner, whether she was put down or not, because legally, when one dies, it must be left out for food.

BUT, a miracle happened, in form of a government horse whisperer, who whispered her two enemas and various other miraculous whispers, which snatched her right out of the jaws of death (and coyotes). Also, her good for nothing CPS mother came back (they say her mother is not a very good mother), bearing mother's milk, and according to Bill, from The Hidden Valley Wild Horse Association whose number I took down before I left, she's on the mend and seems to be doing well!

The end :)

**************************************************

p.s. Ella made her school's volleyball team and the Sacajawea video she and her friends made for their history project has been selected to go to state finals! Yay Ella :)

16 comments:

Heidi said...

Maybe you should give the horse some of your famous salt treatment. :)

Kristina P. said...

Wow, I didn't even know that wild horses really existed! I'm glad she's better. How sad!

Anonymous said...

Thats a lifetime movie!

Rachel hurry and get on that and write up a script ;)

Ryguy said...

What a great news story, Rachel, I think you're on to something. I'm glad you had a happy ending to that story. It's so sad to see that little pony. Are you going to be Wild Horse Annie #2?

Anonymous said...

Rach.... So glad to have a good ending....and you really are the good one..!!!

Julie said...

Congrats Ella on both accounts!

I can't wait for the next installment of the Wild Horse Saga!

sara said...

wow, those pictures were making me so sad. I'm glad it has a happy ending!

Laura said...

Good news all around! Glad the horse is on the mend and congrats on the video!

Barbaloot said...

Love your header pictures...makes me wish I knew how to snowboard:)
Poor horses---they're so shaggy looking. Glad to know someone came to save her since her good-for-nothing-mother was off doing who knows what?

Super Happy Girl said...

That was indeed very dramatic!
And what Sara said. Oh the poor thing.
I am glad she's better :)

Reno 411 said...

Oh I hope she is O.K. I love happy endings. It looks like your Canon is working. Yay for you!
I laughed do hard from the comment you left on my blog. You are seriously one of my favorite people.

Sheri Willardson said...

What a sad story! Glad it had a happy ending-I was thinking as I read that if it ends badly and the horse dies, I might stop reading this blog! :) j/k-I could never stop reading-your blog is too great! And the pictures are fabulous.

Funny story about Sophie feeding herself too. My husband and I are always sending mixed messages to our kids-hopefully they do still turn out ok!

rychelle said...

so glad there was a happy ending!

nevadanista said...

Ha! Good thing you said I'm the nice one Joanie - now you can sleep with both eyes closed ;-)

Yay! It really was a happy ending. I saw her myself yesterday, and it was like she was never sick :)

Alyson | New England Living said...

So glad to hear the horse made it at the end. I was feeling so sad before I got to that part!

Great photos! Way to go!!

J-Lo said...

That's quite the horse story. I'm glad it had a happy ending.