Before I get to some more dusty box items, I want to inspire all of you who may be living with an addiction to Diet Coke, by declaring victory over said delicious, highly desirable, wonderfully bubbly, and insidiously addictive beverage. I've been in recovery now
for 11 days and counting!!!!!! I've never been more proud of myself *sniff sniff*
Today I bring you other various items from my dusty box, and take a slight detour from my autobiography. I could do several posts on page six alone. So many of my most cherished and lovely childhood memories are contained in the three sentences of that page. I want to do it justice, which unfortunately means it might start feeling like homework. But in the meantime, here are some other items from my past.
This adorable crocheted beret looks to be straight from some hipster's ETSY shop - but it was indeed plucked from my dusty box. There has to be a granny afghan somewhere in the world that matches this vintage hat (anything more than five years old qualifies as 'vintage', right?). I know for sure that if I ever wore it, it was only to please my grandmother - I'm pretty sure her neighbor Auggie made it. I would have most certainly been horrified to ever have anything like this on my head. But my forty year old eyes see it differently now. If I were still some young cute thang, I'd have it on right now! But alas, those days are sadly long gone, and I'm pretty sure I would look rather silly.
But Eva, on the other hand, is chillin' like villain in this totally bomb granny afghan beret (Ella's been rubbing off on me lately). She ROCKS it!
This is me in the fabulous Bicentennial dress my grandmother made me in.......1976. Much much much much muey to my chagrin, I no longer have the dress. I think my sister still has hers though, and I still have my hat :) We wore these in a big Bicentennial pageant at El Camino College, and I was the state of Vermont, if I remember correctly.
Very impressive stitching around the elastic on the inside - to me anyway. I haven't gotten past sewing aprons yet.
The Spirit of '76 was a huge deal that year!!! Holly Hobbie was popular at just the right time, with her bonnet all pulled around her face like that - kind of Besty Ross-ish. What kind of little girl did not have a Holly Hobbie rag doll in 1976? Or a Holly Hobbie birthday cake for that matter? A very sad one, that's who!
to be continued...
*********************************************************
Last week Sophie surprised us with an interesting leprechaun trap.
*********************************************************
Kylie the wonder pony with her good for nothing mother, looking healthy only five days after her near death experience.
10 comments:
Wow, 11 days already. Where do you find the strength. I often vow to go off the stuff and then forget and buy tons when it goes on sale. I'll start my DC fast again just as soon as I'm done with this last 12 pack...
That's an awesome hat! Eva should wear it to school.
My twin sister is named Holly which means she got all the Holly Hobbie dolls and I was just one sad girl.
I am so Proud of you!!! 11 days no diet coke, I know from experience that is VERY hard to do. YOU ROCK!
I love, love love the holly Hobbie cake, I was never blessed with such an awesome birthday cake, but I loved Holly Hobbie so very much, I have a purse and a few dolls, I'll have to blog some pictures of them as well. This brought back such wonderful memories.
So funny that Sophie concocted a Leprechaun trap, Jaidyn has been talking about doing this for some time now and has even been taking time to learn Irish on the internet so she can speak to the Leprechaun pet she intends to keep!
I. Am. So. Impressed!! I gave up Diet Coke last year for a few months, but I headed into a little stressful time of my life and that was the end of that!
You GO, girl!
*sigh*...Holly Hobbie
Oh my goodness, I had a bicentennial bonnet too. WOW. And your daughter looks just like you.
I made a special post for you today.
You got leprechauns in your backyard? Did the trap work?
WHat a cute dress and awesome cake. I never had a HH cake :(
It took me a while to figure out the pony picture ;)
I was born in '76! I always thought it was the coolest thing to be born during the bicentennial. It fit in very well with my fascination with history.
You were the cutest little thing and so is your daughter!
By the way, I see "Mayflower" on your bookshelf. I've been meaning to buy that one. Is it good?
I am so impressed you are getting off Diet Coke! And I love the old pic of you!
Good thing you have a leprechaun trap in case that little guy tries to smuggle diet coke into your house!
Post a Comment