Julie said in the last comments: "I love how on your autobiography the background was painted after the crayon image & so there are the dried up spots of water color & it looks eerily like there are splatters of blood"
The Manhattan Beach Pier can be seen in the distance *sigh*
(five fingered from google images)
Ha! I'm making myself jealous of me.
I have to back up from the beach for a moment though, I'm getting ahead of myself.
When I think about those early days at that first school on 14th Street, I'm amazed at how much I remember. I think the majority of my very early childhood memories relate the The Children's Center - even driving there. I remember so well standing up behind the front seat with my arms hooked over the front, driving down Aviation and under the train bridge. That was back before anybody cared about seat belts. We had a blue Dodge Dart, and we would hang on the the front seat from the back and sing to the radio - in particular I remember singing 'It Never Rains In Southern California' on the way to school. When we came to Marine Avenue driving down Sepulveda, we would turn right and go down an enormous hill (enormous in the mind of a child), and at the bottom we would turn left onto one of the streets to pick up Mrs. Scott...then on to the school.
To be continued...because I'm like that...

10 comments:
Wow, those are great memories. I don't think I have any so vivid. I loved the part about making yourself jealous of yourself. Ha ha!
It was so fun to read about this memory! Now I need to go back a few posts and read from the beginning.
It is awesome to read your story and your simple happiness. It is funny how happy we could be as kids even in difficult times. The South Bay was a great place to grow back then. The picture of the MB pier makes me home sick. I also liked listening to a little Norah Jones while I read your post. Nice touch!
That beach is gorgeous! How neat!
it's a good thing you have such awesome memories to counter the dress & permed hair ... your mom DOES deserve the low sodium after all!!!!!!!
I can't believe you remember so much, and yes, the music really adds to the feeling of this. I think, waxing philosophically here, that it doesn't take much to create some pretty good memories for a child, huh? Or maybe it just takes the beach.
Sigh. I can almost smell the ocean, and your description of your happy feelings brings back memories of my own happy childhood. Looking forward to reading more!
Yeah, I'm a little jealous that you grew up so close to the ocean. I would love that. Your journal enteries are adorable-it makes me want to go read some of my old ones.
Here I was feeling sorry for you staying at the children's center for 8 hours a day....your mom was there! You were lucky!
It's so fun to hear about your childhood. Keep the "parts" coming!
Post a Comment