Wishful Thinking

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Contents of a Dusty Box, Part 1

I've been extremely nostalgic lately and lost in thought about my youth after being in touch with so many childhood friends on Facebook, which lead me recently to fetch a dusty old box out of the garage to look for some pictures. The items in the box were random, from my 1984 Los Angeles Olympic velcro wallet full of high school pictures, to my fourth grade autobiography written for Mother's Day. This 17 page autobiography is surprisingly revealing, occasionally misleading, and sometimes eerily prophetic. I'll begin with just the first few pages to start.

Photobucket

Pretty good cover I think - I made myself look very pleasant

Photobucket

But EEEK GADS!!!!! WTH! Something went horribly wrong with the page 1 illustration! It's true I was kind of a tomboy, but I made myself look like hairband rocker minus the hair product. Yikes!

I was trying to draw something like this, my fourth grade school picture. I remember those two -toned brown suede Vans though. My mom finally broke down and let us get some after spending our entire lives in orthopedic shoes (more salt for my mama). I loved them so much!

Photobucket

A hot day in January - hahaha!

Photobucket

My poor mother :(

I was born more than a week late and in need of some serious exfoliating.

Photobucket

Oh wow! I still make the same writing errors I did back in the fourth grade - including words that don't belong, or leaving words out completely. Sometimes several at a time.

Here I am in front of my playpen. Who wouldn't want to climb that thing and dive out?

Ella learning to walk in front of her playpen. I really love trapping her in that thing :)

To be continued...

12 comments:

sara said...

Those are great pictures! I love how you have a picture of you and Ella in almost the same pose. That's great!

Kristina P. said...

These are so funny! I realize I have pretty much nothing from my childhood.

Anonymous said...

wow I love your newborn pic. You were sporting a bead necklace! lol on the rocker self pic :)

Barbaloot said...

How cool that you have something like that! I wish I had a 17 page autobiography to look back on...

Laura said...

Fabulous! And my Vans were two-tone blue and the coolest shoes E-V-E-R!

Heidi said...

What a pretty girl you are! And were . . except for the rock band boy version.

Anonymous said...

I also went on a trip to the past, a surprising and illuminating part of my childhood of which I have no recall. When I visited my mom a couple of weeks ago, she pulled out a few photo albums which I had never seen. They were my family's five years together, before my mom kicked him out. Their wedding, every Easter, birthday and Christmas every year. And I'm still bitter that because my sister and I were born on the same day a year apart, my mom would put us in matching outfits in different colors (red for me, Blue for my sister. But it was so great to know that once upon a time my parents were in love and wonderfully happy, even though it only lasted 5 years. I can't wait to read part 2!

Jenn G. said...

Love the baby bling! 4th grade, you are quite the beautiful girl and still are!

Super Happy Girl said...

Orthopedic shoes!? I had to wear those hideous all the way to 7th grade. My brother used to call me Herman, as in Herman Munster. Ah, the memories.

black bear cabin said...

i remember making one of these at Cabrillo too, however, it is still buried deep in my mothers trunk of treasures, and she hasnt parted with it yet. Perhaps the next time im in LA, ill steal it from her :)
Im enjoying your blog...thanks for leaving a message on mine so i could find yours!
cheers~
lisa

Alyson | New England Living said...

I love that walker you had as a baby! Very spider-like.

J-Lo said...

I used to draw pockets and details on my pants the same way you did in your rocker picture.

Did you trap Ella in the playpen when it was full of toys? That would be entertaining.