Wishful Thinking

Friday, March 13, 2009

Contents of a Dusty Box, Part 3

My fourth grade autobiography continues...

Photobucket

Awwwe...my poor dad. He wasn't in my life for very long. They divorced when I was only a year old. Mental illness (schizophrenia) robbed us of him. And even more sad - him of us, through no fault of his own. My mother always told us about him, and about his illness, but even so, he remained a mystery - a giant question mark in my mind, until I was fourteen when he showed up unexpectedly on our doorstep one day. But that story is deserving of its own post sometime. Here he is at seventeen, before his troubles began, full of life and potential - and so handsome!

My dad, 17 years old

Photobucket

A visit we made in 2007

Tom (a very proud grandpa), Sophie, Eva & Ella

To be continued...

...in customary fashion...I'm dragging this out way too long...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your dad is very handsome! and I love that picture with the kids and him!

Sarie said...

Beautiful Rachel... So glad that your children can know him. That's the best part of this story.

Julie said...

I am intrigued. (I love how on your autobiography the background was painted after the crayon image & so there are the dried up spots of water color & it looks eerily like there are splatters of blood)

Eliza said...

Keep dragging it on. I'm loving it. What a beautiful picture of your girls and their grandpa.

Kristina P. said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. Schizophrenia is such a scary thing.

Heidi said...

I think you look a lot like your dad (um, when he was 17!). I feel so bad for him! Being bipolar (as is my son) is hard enough . .

sara said...

That last picture is beautiful. I love the mountain in the background. Post card quality!

Barbaloot said...

You're dragging things out is killing me---but I always have to come back for the stories:)

Super Happy Girl said...

ITA with all my fellow commentators.

Alyson | New England Living said...

So interested in hearing your dad's heartbreaking story. I feel for those with mental illness issues.

Laura said...

Wow, you look a lot like your dad! My brother has schizophrenia, among (many) other issues. I agree that you don't really get to know them. But I'm glad you have contact with him.

nevadanista said...

I didn't know that about your brother Laura. It makes for a lonely life :(