About ten minutes later, Matt comes down stairs into the living room and I hear him saying, "Sophie, what are you doing? Why are you eating that whole loaf of bread like that? Rachel, did you know she was in here eating the entire loaf of french bread on the floor?"
Sophie starts crying - it doesn't take much. She never wants to do anything wrong, because she's sweet like that.
I don't answer right away.
Me after awkward silence: "umm, what?"
Matt: "did you know Sophie was in here with her arm down the middle of the french bread eating it on the floor? No Sophie, you can't do that."
Me: "Oh, yeah......I did see her doing that...and was kind of letting her."
Do you think she'll need lots of therapy when she grows up, or what?
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Mixed Messages
It's possible we're damaging our children with mixed messages. Case in point...last night was a serve yourself/eat when you want type of dinner. We had some chicken, some rice and bread, etc.. I wasn't paying much attention to whom was eating what, or when, before I became distracted by the apron I started before Christmas - the one onto which I had attached the pockets unevenly. I decided to fix it right then and there, and didn't realize Sophie hadn't been served any food. After I had been working on the apron for a while, I walked into the living room and found Sophie still in her ballet leotard eating her dinner on the living room floor, complete with half a loaf of french bread, and surrounded by her animal figurines. She had picked out and eaten almost all the center of the loaf, and had her hand deep down inside for another piece. There was also a discarded chicken bone behind her. I thought her resourcefulness was about the most adorable thing in the world, and ran upstairs to grab the camera. I took some pictures, laughed and laughed, and kissed her and told her how cute it was that she had served herself dinner and was eating it on the floor with her animals - then I went back to my apron in the other room.
About ten minutes later, Matt comes down stairs into the living room and I hear him saying, "Sophie, what are you doing? Why are you eating that whole loaf of bread like that? Rachel, did you know she was in here eating the entire loaf of french bread on the floor?"
Sophie starts crying - it doesn't take much. She never wants to do anything wrong, because she's sweet like that.
I don't answer right away.
Me after awkward silence: "umm, what?"
Matt: "did you know Sophie was in here with her arm down the middle of the french bread eating it on the floor? No Sophie, you can't do that."
Me: "Oh, yeah......I did see her doing that...and was kind of letting her."
Do you think she'll need lots of therapy when she grows up, or what?
About ten minutes later, Matt comes down stairs into the living room and I hear him saying, "Sophie, what are you doing? Why are you eating that whole loaf of bread like that? Rachel, did you know she was in here eating the entire loaf of french bread on the floor?"
Sophie starts crying - it doesn't take much. She never wants to do anything wrong, because she's sweet like that.
I don't answer right away.
Me after awkward silence: "umm, what?"
Matt: "did you know Sophie was in here with her arm down the middle of the french bread eating it on the floor? No Sophie, you can't do that."
Me: "Oh, yeah......I did see her doing that...and was kind of letting her."
Do you think she'll need lots of therapy when she grows up, or what?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
ha ha ha. She just needs some fondue dip for that bread :)
haha...I can just HEAR you say that! You crack me up girl!
Awe, poor thing. That picture is great!
We have that dinner every night at my house. I think my husband wishes he would've asked me the cooking question before we were married.
I pretty much don't cook.
Ever.
I don't know if Sophie will need therapy, but I don't need to do crunches tonight. This really hit a funny bone tonight (and it wasn't a chicken bone!).
You have given me my comic relief for the night!!
Love that she picked the middle out of the bread. It's like taking just a few bites of an apple before going to another---that's the part that tastes best!
Oh I miss that girl!
"I did see her doing that...and was kind of letting her..."
And I took pictures, and I told he how cute she is...
HAHAHAHA! I love her hand inside the loaf :D
I am just laughing at your story, very cute! No- I don't think she'll need therapy for that. Did you finish your apron?
The whole ritual around the formality of eating--I don't know--I think it is overrated. Food is food and is for eating, not ceremony. Our kids need to have company manners and stuff for when they are in company but I think the less of a big deal we make about it, the less likely our kids are to have some kind of eating disorder.
Very resourceful. We all need therapy at some point, why not start traumatizing her early?
Post a Comment