Wishful Thinking

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Not in the Band and Almost the Conclusion of the Salt Saga

Photobucket

Oh my goodness - guess what! We really are starting a girl band...Matt bought an electric guitar on Friday. I can't count the number of times I've already heard the intro riff from 'Iron Man'. Suddenly we're metal-head rockers!

But guess what else...I'm a failure as a mother. Last night while watching the Grammys, our musical worlds collided when The Jonas Brothers and Stevie Wonder took the stage together. In a painful illustration of how my attempts at brainwashing have had absolutely no affect, Ella said, "oh my GOSH! Stevie Wonder is soooo lucky to get to play with The Jonas Brothers!"

(Did you see Nick forget the words to 'Superstition'? Was totally awesome and vindicating - hee hee hee)

But that was just the first wound.

Today I was told that the neighbor girl (I used to call her by her name, which is Deanna, and I used to really love her) is going to be the drummer. In other words, I'm not in the band.

Geez! She doesn't even have her own mock/wannabe/pseudodrummer drum set to practice on like I do. She probably couldn't even pass the easy level on any of the easy peasy songs! I'm pretty sure she sucks as a Rock Band drummer - I challenge the neighbor girl to a drum off! And if I still don't get the job after my inevitable victory, guess who'll be cleaning the garage this week? And guess who'll then never have band practice with the neighbor girl in said newly cleaned garage?

Think about it...

;-)

**********************************************************

Epic salt saga continued...

I was kind of nervous about taking care of my mom up in Susanville by myself. For one thing, all of her doctors are either in Reno or the Sacramento area, and she doesn't like the hospital in town. There just isn't much available in terms of super duper emergency medical care.

And, I was also nervous that after a few days I would really turn into Nurse Ratched. Sometimes my mother and I bring out the worst in each other, and I can get a little bit crazy!

But all the worry was for naught, because I turned out to be more like Florence Nightingale than anyone - pleasantly finding the remote for her, refreshing her drink and ice regularly, fetching the mail, watching chick flicks with her, tucking her into bed at night, etc., etc., etc.. I truly was an excellent nurse! But on top of looking after her in those ways and many others, I took it upon myself to cook meals for her with the least amount of sodium possible, in order to bring her swollen foot (see earlier posts if you don't know what I'm talking about) back to a comfortable level.

And that's exactly what I did! To be continued...and hopefully finished in the next post, because it's been so long now, the details are becoming murky (and I'm losing interest).

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol when I first saw the picture I was like "WOAH their rockband guitar is awesome!!!"

Julie said...

haha...I thought the same thing as Shellie!

And ease up on Nick...I like him as the poster boy for diabetes a WHOOOOLE lot better than Bret Michaels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(and I'm letting some secret info loose here...have you ever seen Gene Simmons Family Jewels??? Loved the episode with Nick challenging Gene & his bandmate to Rock Band! Kicked the old rockers bums!)

Anonymous said...

I still you love Nick Jonas!!

Anonymous said...

p.s. apple's in the band wether you like it or not!!

Laura said...

Jonas Brothers? Huh? Okay, I've heard of them, but I'm sorry that your brainwashing efforts failed. Tragedy in its purest form. Better luck with the drum off with Neighbor Girl! :-)

Kristina P. said...

The Jonas Brother's parents live in my brother's neighborhood in Texas.

That comment was so funny!

sara said...

Wow, you must be the coolest mom to let them start a rock band. Are they going to be the Jonas Sisters?
That kind of makes it sound like a group of sister missionaries.
Good luck, and I'd invest in earplugs.

Camille said...

Totally awesome dude...I just spent the past 30 minutes loling while reading your blog. Love it. See you tomorrow :)

Super Happy Girl said...

"oh my GOSH! Stevie Wonder is soooo lucky to get to play with The Jonas Brothers!"
BWahahahahaha! That's awesome.

I am so scared I'll turn into Nurse Ratched. SO good for you passing the test :)

Heidi said...

I didn't watch the grammy's. Clearly, I missed out. Sorry about Deena, your no-longer drummer friend down the street. Karma will get her.

Jenn G. said...

Too bad you're not in our ward here in Sammamish. There's three families that have a band and they're always looking for a member.
Rock On, Pretty Mamma!

nevadanista said...

Hey jenn g, Ella's busy cleaning the garage, but you can tell your friends that I'm available :)

Julie, I'm embarrassed to admit that I actually saw an episode of that show a while back in which Gene Simmons and his wife both went in for face lifts together:D

Gene Simmons seriously creeps me out too much to even be strangely facisnated by him. He seems like a walking/talking disease to me - one that would require penicillin. Know what I mean? But that sounds very funny! Nick Jonas probably plays Rock Band better than he plays real rock :)

Barbaloot said...

Bummer about the neighbor girl. I definitely think you should challenge her to a drum-off.

Harlene said...

There's an opening in my band...

J-Lo said...

Who "fetches" the mail nowadays??? Florence Nightingale, I guess:)

Sarie said...

Oh Rachel, you are as funny as ever. I think I may be facing the same "kicked out of the girl band even in my own family" scenario. My daughters already have me stumped and then aren't even 6.