Okay, this IS IT!!! I'm not getting up from this computer until I have finished this freaking heartwarming story of deflating my mother's bum foot!!! And it will be an abridged version, which will no doubt cause great joy for all my lovely readers :) The details are simply too boring blog.
So...I grocery shopped and read lots and lots of labels, blah blah blah. I discovered most everything frozen, processed, convenient or tasty was off limits and that I am awash in sodium, blah blah blah. I purchased all fresh and natural foods, blah blah blah. I cooked, and or prepared, three square low sodium meals a day - plus nutritious snacks, which were very delicious, blah blah blah. I became the sodium Nazi, blah blah blah. After a couple days, wrinkles appeared on the bottom of my mother's bum foot, blah blah blah. And in a few more days, her toes also began to wrinkle, blah blah blah. By the end of my stay, her ankles nearly matched one another, blah blah blah.
And now for the heartwarming part - when I returned the following week to stay the night (after I'd come home the first time), she was talking to a friend on the phone and told her friend that for the first time in fourteen years, her ankles matched each other, and that it was all because of my cooking and good care :) Isn't that so neat?! It really made me smile :)
PHEW!!! I am sooo glad I finally got that out! Wow, what torture that was for some reason. I feel like a weight has been lifted - aaaahhh...
But you know what happened this week? I kind of wanted to invite my mom over for dinner in order to slip a large quantity of salt into her dinner after I went on a Facebook frenzy and took a trip down memory lane. All kinds of childhood friends were suddenly in my life again, posting pictures and reminiscing. I decided to go look for some of my old photos, and came across some pretty frightening stuff. Here's the deal, I had amazing hair my very first season of playing soccer in 1979, as seen below.
Ummm, I was a babe in 1979!
The next season I had a perm, which wasn't bad. It's kind of cute actually because it was pretty loose, but my mom really really really wanted me to keep getting perms because my hair is rather thin and tends to be stringy.
So then, by 1981-1982 I had this hair!!!!! What the what???? How did I go from the first picture, to this poodle-ish monstrosity, in only two or three short years, and why did my mother condone it? And not only did she condone it, she LOVED my hair like this :0
And to make it all worse, look. No one else had a perm! It was NOT in style!!! Everyone else wasn't doing it!!!
Oh, be certain of it - something salty her way cometh, believeth you me!!!



14 comments:
My mom did the same thing to me! She didn't know how to deal with my straggly hair---so we permed it to death. I feel your pain/shame.
Oh the 80's. My favorite hair years. Now being that I am older than you, I do not have the luxury of blaming my mother for perms. I recently took a picture of our first office which happened to be in our basement. Of course nobody noticed the typewriter I was working at or the very nice phone, desk pad, copier, etc. It was and I quote from every one who looked at the picture "whoa nice hair". I did not see anything wrong with it.
Karen (formally of the nursery) maybe you can say that too someday.
My aunt is a hairstylist, and she gave me a perm when I was like 4!! Is that even legal! My hair was crazy for so many years!
I actually like the perm look. You've given me a new idea to take to my stylist. My hair is naturally curly, so I don't get the option of letting it grow out.
Glad you hear your mom's ankles match.
Blow up that ankle! There's the way to get revenge. B/c you really do resemble a poodle (that's okay, so did my twin sister around that same time .. )
but I thought you were never one to go with the crowd...perhaps this is what started it all!! blah blah blah
Ah, perms. My first only took on half my head. You can, I'm sure, imagine how that looked. Perhaps I should review my life with that perm in mind. I'm sure I could trace several long-standing neuroses to the experience. :-)
as a girl with eaqually fine/thin hair, i must say your hair looks very "full" with that perm. at least you've got that going for you, right?
Man that is some for sure poodle hair. My mom had poodle hair for years!!! But it was "in" during 1988-1991. Not 1981. You poor thing. So what does a senior picture look like?
I love seeing your pictures. You were a babe.
hahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha, very funny. :)
You would have been such a hottie on Andy Gibb's arm!
I still haven't forgiven my mom for the pixie cut in second grade. Richard Beijr wouldn't stop asking who the new boy in class was, and telling me I was using the wrong bathroom.
Ugh!
AWWWWWWW.
BIG hair: You were ahead of yout time!
Congratulations on finishing your "homework." You get an A+. At least your mom wasn't the one GIVING you the perm. My mom even made her own spiral curlers out of tubing from the hardware store when spiral perms were in. Then me and two of my sisters would do marathon perm days at the house. Good times.
Post a Comment