Sophie and me, just moments after her birth (and I even did my hair and make-up before going to the hospital so I wouldn't look like this - I'm not in the middle of a blink either)
My baby Sophie is eight. I.want.to freeze.her.in.time. I've wanted to since the day she was born. She is the sweetest thing ever created. Anyone reading this who thinks their child is sweeter than Sophie is just stone cold crazy and wrong!!!
It's a well known fact in our family that Sophie was the best of the three babies (Ella was the worst, hee hee hee). First of all, she didn't come equipped with the vocal power that both Ella and Eva came with - that was one of the first things that overjoyed us about her. And she was so docile. She would take a bottle or the boob, it didn't matter. Whichever was most most convenient for me was what she would take - so unlike those first two babies :)
And then her head would flop all over the place. It was so hard for her to hold it up for very long. Even at four months old she would suddenly give up and let her head roll onto her shoulder - and smile all the while. When she finally began to walk at nearly 21 months, the entire family cheered her on as if cheering a runner the last mile of a marathon - and she felt as accomplished. We always giggled when anyone asked her name and she replied 'Popie', and sometimes even 'Dopie'. It was so adorable and heartwarming. She was so excited the first time she said her name correctly when she was five. It was a long time coming after three years of speech therapy, and she just couldn't wait for Matt to get home from work so she could say her name for him. *sniff sniff* She is a child who possesses no ill intent. She is easily devastated when she does something wrong. You have to be careful when pointing out that the new word she learned at school isn't a nice one. She falls apart even when such news is broken to her gently. Her innocence inspires a kind of protectiveness in her friends and family. When she is wronged, I want nothing more than to kick some major boo-TAY!! Don't mess with my Sophie!
I will avenge :)
But behind all the delays and the learning disability, lurks a mind that thinks deep deep thoughts.
That brain of hers is always pondering imponderables, like a couple years ago when she woke up, went into our bedroom, crawled into our bed, made herself comfortable and then asked, "why we not all live in Africa?"
Indeed! Why we not all live in Africa anyway? About a year ago when she woke up one day, she asked, "why we not have chicken legs?" And about 18 months ago, while I ran her bath water, she asked, "do you believe in ghosts?" Me: "oh no. All those ghosts like Casper and all that Halloween stuff is just fake and for fun. It's just so we can pretend to be scared - it's all fake." Sophie: "what about the Holy Ghost?" Me: "oh... well ... that's different of course..." My favorite was about 3 years ago though. We were driving past The Little Flower Catholic Church on Kietzke, and she asked if it was a church. I was kind of surprised that she could tell it was a church since isn't at all traditional looking. I answered her, "yes, it's a church - the Catholic Church." The she asked me, "is Jesus in there?" Not wanting to make things complicated by explaining the resurrection, etc., I simply said, "yes, Jesus is in there." Then she asked the most amazing thing ever. She asked, with the last word in song, "did Jesus take the ♫ whee-ee-eel ♫ ?" Then I both laughed and cried the rest of the day. Her questions are ENDLESS and always amusing. Here's a sampling of some I remember her asking over the weekend while we were out of town - all of them completely random:
Sophie's arrival and fanfare. There were horns, streamers and poppers - cheering and clapping!
She wore a crown and we barbequed in the back yard - Eva loving on Sophie
Matt's here risking our satellite reception for the pinatas
Ominous sky
Matt lays down the rules (but no one really listened and it was kind of mayhem) The frenzy
Lightning forced us indoors, so Ella deejayed an impromptu dance party
A good time was had by all! After the party was over and everyone had gone home, Sophie said to me, "that was the best party you ever planned."
That made the party bomb aftermath and debris all worth it :)
Happy birthday Sophie!!!





13 comments:
I hope she liked her non-surprise surprise party!
oh! Happy Birthday Sophie! We Love you! You definitely are the sweetest girl ever!
How cute!! I love it!! I kept waiting for a picture of you dancing, but maybe next year...
happy Birthday, sophie!
I couldn't possibly miss you all more!
Happy Birthday Sophie! She really is sooooo sweet. I still remember her sweet little 4 year old self telling me all sorts of stories, mostly about elephants, her favorite. Hope she has a great year.
That Sophie is the sweetest thing - she "lights up" primary during singing time!! I love the picture of her deep in thought; just beautiful.
After seeing all the fun that was had at her party, I'm now wondering if you could plan a surprise party for me? End of June? I promise to act really...really surprised!! :)
I was fully prepared to politely disagree about her being the coolest ever and say that I too am pretty stellar... then I read the part where she sang "did Jesus take the wheeeeel" and that clinched it for me. She totally rocks my world now.
Congrats!
happy birthday to your sweet girl!
I think my kids ask for a surprise party every year...and every year it is "Surprise...NO party!" lol just kidding...SOMETIMES there is a party. Happy Birthday to Sophie! I can't believe she is 8 either...time FLIES!
Sophie is a sweetheart. I too wanted a surprise party for my birthday, she's a girl after my own heart.Your post brought tears to my eyes. You are such a wonderful mom. Hannah had a good time at Sophie's party.
Awww...you are absolutely right. She's absolutely adorable and the sweetest kid ever walked the planet. I can see how you can say all those wonderful things about her cuz it's all true.
It was really sweet of her to decide on a surprise party and be surprised by it and then to give you a sweet compliment. It really is worth all the cleaning afterward.
Happy Birthday Sophie(belated).
What a sweet heart-hope she had a Happy Birthday.
That is a gorgeous photo of her in the field!
Are she and Emerson friends? They're the same age.
Post a Comment