Oh man! I am so behind on blogging, and you know I hate that because then it feels like homework, which turns into to feeling like housework... and well... you know the rest of the story on that...
So let me start catching up with the Reno Aces game we went to on Friday at the new stadium. It was really a great time and I kind of felt as if the stadium was mine. You know what I mean? Like I had some sort of vested interest in something local. Something I can get into and support, and like everyone else there felt the same way (insert group hug here).
We met my in-laws, Marv and Joanie, and Matt's brother Ryan and our nephew Ben at the entrance for the game. It turns out that Friday's are perfect for a family night. In addition to all the entertainment between innings, there was a fireworks show afterwards, and then kids under 12 got to run the bases. I think we were there for about four hours, and the kids never complained :)
It turns out though, that standing in the concession stand line, the one that's about parallel with right field, is more dangerous than the Swine Flu. True story. A woman was nailed in the head by a foul ball in the exact spot I had been standing only two minutes before she was hit. She was in my line about four people back, but was still out in the open. I had already entered the covered area of the stand. It was shocking, to say the least, to hear that loud thud and then gasps all around. Surprisingly though, it didn't knock her out, and she remained standing, with support, and had the most terrible look in her eyes. She didn't say a word, but just stood there for a few moments (kind of looking like I imagine we were all supposed to be looking right now dying from Swine Flu), with her eyes all popped out and her hand on her head - and then they whisked her away. I wish I knew what happened to her.
So don't worry about taking your hand sanitizer to the ball park - take a helmet instead.
Oh, and note to self: the end of the fifth inning is the
worst time of all to go for snacks. It's when
EVERYONE goes for snacks, which causes people to have to stand out in the open to be struck by foul balls. And it's also the reason you missed the Barry Bonds home run that landed just two seats from where you had been sitting back in 2002 - that moment was one of the most shocking of your life, and sent you into a funk for days. You and Matt were the only two at Pac Bell Park who weren't celebrating. And on top of all that, you had that foul ball
almost near death experience standing in line to get Eva garlic fries, only to find out, when it was finally your turn, that you were at the wrong concession stand, and that you had to go to a different concession stand for garlic fries and stand in line all over again. So, don't ever go for food right after the fifth inning. That's when bad things happen.
Ella's new photo policy since getting braces
Ben, Ryan and Ella
Joanie and Ben - no greater love hath a grandmother for her grandchild, but that she will crack open each and every individual sunflower seed for him
Eva
Sophie, unaware that she is about to be consumed by Archie
Matt's in the middle with the red hat, Eva's holding a glove over her head
Ryan and Ben - that's the same glove I've had since I was about twelve
Matt and Eva
The new Reno Aces Stadium with Downtown Reno in the background
8 comments:
I'm first!!
Tell Ella that braces rock! I always love your photos.
And don't you dare let blogging turn into homework.
Oh, and thank you for all kind birthday words. I hope you are overcoming your brain disorder. I'm working on mine.
I didn't know baseball was played in Nevada. I don't really call what the 51ers(is that what they're called) do baseball. It's kind of like t-ball for grown ups. Congrats on avoiding getting severe head damage by way of foul ball. You must have someone looking out for you, and the lady that got hit obviously doesn't or she wouldn't have gotten hit.
What gorgeous pictures! This post is why I don't go to baseball games. The balls---they find me. I have been hit at least three times that I can think of right off the top of my head.
How super fun! I really want to go to an Aces game soon and this made me want to go more.
We have really enjoyed the new stadium too-my girls are obsessed with the baseball games ever since they caught one of the free tee-shirts.
We've gone to a couple of games, and each time someone has gotten hurt. Last time, one of the visiting team broke a bat while hitting, and the piece of the bat flew up into the stands and hit a little baby. I don't know what happened, but they very quickly whisked the baby away. Seriously, that stadium is a little dangerous.
WHat a fun day! I love going to baseball games.
Archie!!! HE'S AWESOME!
I want pics of you wearing a helmet to the next game. And no kidding about the love of a grandmother to crack open sunflower seeds!
Post a Comment