Wishful Thinking

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dearest Sweetheart

#20 February 8

Photobucket

Time Pieces

My great grandfather, Ward Monroe Jenkins, Sr., was a watch/clock repairman/maker. These are some of his miscellaneous watch faces and parts. I've been trying to think of interesting things to photograph on days when I might find myself at a loss for inspiration. This is the first time I've tried something like this - a still life with black background, composing a scene, etc.. If I did it again, I would change a couple things about this pic, like the position of the hand on the center watch face for example. But overall, I like how it turned out and I'd like to do some more of this kind of photography.

I was so excited about it in fact, I had a hard time going to sleep that night, even though I didn't get to bed 'til 1 a.m.. Then my mind was racing with all the possibilities of 'heirloom photography'! I was composing still life scenes in my mind of all the family treasures scattered about in various boxes. Where is that one thing of my grandmother's I remember seeing? Is that other thing at my mom's house? Would they look good together with some pictures in the background? Would it be better to do a photo shoot during daylight with the natural light of the sun through the windows, or with the available light of the ceiling lights and desk lamp? Using a flash is out of the question, but which lens would be best?

These are the thoughts that keep me up at night... which makes me a very lucky person at the moment! Other less pleasant thoughts (waaaaaaay less pleasant) have kept me up at other times in my life, and no doubt there will be times in the future when I will have more troubles, stresses or heartache to deal with, so I'd like to take a moment to be grateful for losing sleep over still life compositions... thank you up there!

#21 February 9

Photobucket

Dearest Sweetheart

The next day I decided to arrange some of the letters my grandfather wrote to my grandmother during WWII, before they were married. Who doesn't love air mail envelopes? And stamped with dates of a time long since gone by? And addressed to their grandmother by their grandfather when they were dating and falling in love?Crazy people, that's who.

I also added in my grandmother's war ration stamp booklets. There's a lot of history packed into this one photo, and a lot of sweetness too!

#22 February 9

Photobucket

Timeless Love

I will have to write about this pic tomorrow. It's getting late and there's so much to say about it. The photo on this pocket watch face is my great grandmother.

6 comments:

Laura said...

Love, love, love these pictures! I can't decide if I like one more than the other, but I don't think it matters. They're both great. Very evocative. (How's that for a fancy word? :-) )

April said...

Seriously, how can I say it better than Laura? She used the word evocative for heaven's sake! :)

nevadanista said...

Thank you thank you!

Evocative... I love it :)

Alyson | New England Living said...

You're doing so well at photography! I love it! Great subjects!

Are you taking any classes? I want to start taking classes as soon as my youngest is in school all day. That'll be a couple more years still. :(

nevadanista said...

Thanks Alyson! No, I'm not taking any classes. Our local Photography shop has some field trip type classes sometimes though, and I'd like to do one of those. And you might be surprised how little you can accomplish when all the kids are in school all day :D

The Crash Test Dummy said...

Holy cow girl! HO.LY. COW! It's entrancing.