#55 March 15
Distraction (and Dedication)
My mom wasn't very cooperative about having her picture taken when I was staying with her last week, so I had to pretend to be a fly on the wall (holding a large camera). Here she is doing one of her favorite things ever - watching a favorite tv show (Castle) whilst doing something distracting. Be warned... you don't want to watch '24' with her if you don't want to give a minute by minute account of each plot twist and who just exploded. What you can't see in this pic are the report cards on her lap. She's writing report card comments... and she writes a book on each one people :D But that's how she rolls.
And as I mentioned in the last post,
nothing will keep my mom away from parent teacher conference week and report card comments! She laughs in the face of adversity... and in the face of reduced kidney function. Last year she laughed right in the face of kidney failure itself. She laughs at reduced oxygen intake and asthma - okay, sometimes she can only wheeze at it. She laughs at significant blood loss, dehydration, heart fibrillation, broken ankles and ankle surgeries, at fractured vertebrae in her back and balloon kyphoplasty. Pishposh... what are any of those things when it comes to kindergarten? NOTHING!!! I can say without reservation, that there has never been a more dedicated, persevering and caring teacher than mi madre :) That's just has she rolls.
************************************************
#56 March 16
The Grand Cafe
On my way home last Tuesday, I stopped at the Grand Cafe on Main Street in Susanville to take some pictures through the window. I had noticed the evening before, when I took the Pioneer Cafe picture, that is was closed and for sale, but everything was still inside and looked interesting. As I had my lens pressed against the window taking pictures, the owner came out from the back and asked me if I wanted to come in and take some. It was as if the universe was rewarding me for not
trespassing a few weeks back.
The owner, George, gave me tour and pointed out all the special things about the place. It has been in his family for over 80 years, and I was really sorry I wasn't a buyer... and he probably was too. It still has all the original counter seats, including hat clips on the backs, music players in each booth from the 40's, the original stove and grill, WWII posters, etc., etc.. It was a real treat! I wasn't even tempted to trespass later on when I stopped to take some more pictures of my favorite abandoned house.
So, if any of you are in the market to buy an eighty year old cafe on Main Street in Susanville, I know just how to hook you up.
***********************************************************
#57 March 17
Pinch
Wearing green on St. Patrick's day still wasn't enough to protect Sophie from Janene's (my sister) pinch.
**************************************************
#58 March 18
Grandpa's Underwood
I dug around the garage last week to find my grandpa's old typewriter (Sophie asked if it was a computer). I think it's actually my great grandfather's - I need to research that a little more. But amazingly enough, the ribbon that has been in it since I boxed it up 25 years ago (and was probably in there when it was given to me (or maybe I just claimed it because no one else seemed to care about it)) stills works! That's like a triple lifetime guarantee.
7 comments:
You and Janene both still look exactly the same as you did 15 years ago, and you look more and more alike as time goes by. I thought that was a picture of you pinching Sophie! And your mom's kindergartners are lucky to have her. What a great teacher! Love the pics, as usual.
I'm loving the pictures and the stories. Sorry your mom was back in the hospital, but I'm glad she's not there anymore. Hope she continues to recover and be well. And I love the Pioneer Cafe shot too, although that Underwood picture is wooing me somethin' fierce!
Gorgeous pictures. In fact, you seem to be getting better and better! Love Castle. Why does your mom write report cards on TV shows? It sounds like the answer will be intersting . ..
Your pictures are fabulous!! I think I've said that before....
WOW! That's all I can say! You are so talented.
What an awesome teacher you mom it. We need more people like her in the world.
It's so fun seeing the world through your eyes.
Thank you thank you all!!!
You're too nice Khristine. But you know how they say pictures don't lie? Well they do :D But just keep saying nice stuff like that!
Post a Comment