Wishful Thinking

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Cliffhangers

The girls have been begging me to go rock climbing for a while. I used to take them quite a bit a couple years ago, but other things crowded our schedules, and it's all the way across town, so...

Sophie never tried it when we went before, and I didn't think she was going to try it yesterday. But she completely surprised me, as she often does!!! Not only did she crawl right into a harness without much thought, she went right to climbing as soon as she was hooked up. I was sure she would be too scared. She didn't go too high, but the great thing was that she did the best doing the scariest thing of all - leaning back and coming down! This was the scariest part for Ella and Eva to learn, and it only took Sophie two times to understand how to do it, and then she was doing it like an old pro, gently pushing away from the wall and again and again until she was all the way down. She was so proud of herself, and I could tell she finally felt like she could do a sport well. She's tried several things, but her gross motor skills are so far behind everyone else her age, that she always ends up not having fun and becomes frustrated. So, I'm very excited about this, and I think I'm going to get a summer pass and try to go at least once a week. I feel like this would be so good for her physically, and would give her confidence and something to feel proud about. I just hope she doesn't grow up to be one of those crazies who climbs something like El Capitan!

Sophie was good at freestyle too

Eva is very good!!!

I think hanging is her favorite part

Ella did well too, but she was already feeling sore on our way home because she hadn't done it for so long - ouch!

1 comment:

Sheri Willardson said...

I am so impressed-your girls are very brave! Sorry to hear about your grandma btw!