Wishful Thinking

Monday, June 2, 2008

The return of OP

Going to Wal-mart has been nostalgic for me lately. Just across from the produce is the ladies clothing section, which now features the OP brand - Ocean Pacific. It just makes me happy to see it. When I was growing up in southern California, OP was the thing in grade school and junior high!!! OP shorts, Vans and Baja Hoodies.

So I was in Wal-mart a couple weeks ago and saw that they have the cutest OP bags for only $10. That's right, I said $10!!!! And that's a real leather handle too, not vinyl, lol. The one I got has a classic surfer design, and I love it! Reminds me of my childhood.

My sister was here Friday evening, and I had to run to Wal-mart for butterfly band-aids to patch together Julia's forehead (a collision with Sophie and a sidewalk curb), and while I was there, I picked one up for her too. I could tell she was jealous when she saw mine. Well not really, but I wanted to impose my fun on her anyway, and she was so nice to act all excited :)

What I haven't seen at Wal-mart though, are the classic OP shorts for guys. I even went to both the men's and boy's sections looking for them. I guess since the style for guys is to wear their shorts down to the middle of their calves these days (an unforunate trend, especially for basketball players because they usually have really nice legs), the classic OP shorts probably wouldn't sell. And although some things go out of style for a time, and then come back about 25 years later as very cool and hip 'vintage', some things are probably better left untouched.

I'm afraid the return of OP won't be as grand as it could be though, because it's at Wal-mart and not Tartget. We all know that if OP were at Target, the same items would be instantly more cool and desirable ;-)

3 comments:

Danila said...

Rachel, you are such an 80's girl..
I LOVE IT!!! I too remember those days of OP, even though I was living in Utah and there was no ocean beach anywhere nearby. The cord shorts were the best with the OP insignia, but I do agree they are best kept as a memory, some how I don't think they would look quite as sexy as they use to!

Johnny Rotten said...

Seriously?!? I remember those chord shorts, and may God have mercy on your soul for wishing they would come back.

nevadanista said...

I was thinking maybe the real johnny rotten had found my blog :D