I just walked outside and inhaled. We went from a stage 1 air pollution alert, to a stage 2 today. This is from the Reno Gazette Journal:
"The Stage 2 alert means health officials wants everyone, not just those people with heart and respiratory problems, should stay indoors as much as possible,
Andy Goodrich, director of the department’s Air Quality Management Division, said in 22 years he has never seen so much pollution in Reno skies." (they need a better editor)
This is all from the northern California fires that were sparked on Saturday. Over 800 were started from dry lightning.
Here's my comparative photo essay (I've always wanted to do a 'photo essay' lol)

Looking at Peavine Mountain from the hills behind Damonte Ranch High School
4 February 2008
You can see the outline of the smaller hills here, that are in the photo above - that's the same house in the foreground, and it still isn't finished
25 June 2008
Earlier today it was much worse than the afternoon and evening - this is looking in the same direction as the pictures above
25 June 2008

Looking east from our backyard
6 January 2008
25 June 2008

2 June 2008
Looking at Slide Mountain and Mt. Rose

Very close to the same view, with Damonte Ranch High School in the foreground
25 June 2008
Two very different looking sunsets taken from the same spot
4 February 2008
The sun is much further north now, and doesn't set over Mt. Rose at this time of year
25 June 2008
4 comments:
I love that you have these. I am going to take some now and then when it clears up. I can't believe how bad the air quality is. We've been inside for the last few days. I have been praying for rain.
Rachel,
Come to Seattle where the air is fresh and clean. :-)
Love that Margie photo...is the Red Bull she's drinking...the #1 drink sold in Utah. :-)
Your blog cracks me up every day!
jg
We returned from our trip and found smoky skies! I missed seeing the beautiful green mountains and being able to breathe clean air. We went to Tahoe for a wedding on Friday and it was even worse up there. I'm so glad things have mostly cleared up now. The pictures are great, maybe you should work for the RGJ!
Thanks for inviting me to your blog...great pictures. :)
Post a Comment