Wishful Thinking

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The wonder and beauty of hydrangeas

Hydrangeas are my favorite flower, or plant if you will, and I kill several every year. I usually buy them while I'm out shopping or running errands, and I happen to see a nice one. They're so hard to resist when they're in full bloom and have perfect coloring. Each time I bring one home, I vow to myself that I'll water it faithfully, and that I'll make it last longer than the previous one. But inevitably, I always forget to water a couple days out of the week, or go out of town, blah blah blah, and then suddenly the wilting comes on fast and furious!
So today I didn't water my latest hydrangea soon enough, and the poor thing was croaking when I saw it this evening. I hurried fast and watered it, snapped a picture, and then left to drop Ella up at the church for an activity. When I got home about 25 minutes later, WAH-LAH! It was as good as new! After their beauty, this is my favorite thing about hydrangeas - that they come back from the brink of death so quickly with just a little water. It usually only takes between 10 to 15 minutes for a complete revival. This is probably why they only last about 6 to 8 weeks for me though. They get tired of trying to stay alive, and finally just give up. What I need, is for Matt to run a drip line up through the middle of the dining room table, or the coffee table. Either one would do. I would be able to keep them around much longer if he did. But then I would miss seeing them come miraculously back to life. I'm kind of an hydrangea sadist I guess.

3 comments:

Jenn G. said...

Rachel,
You just need to live in a climate like Seattle and they grow wild in the great outdoors. When mine bloom I'll send you a photo. :-)
Jenn

Danila said...

That explains a lot about your hydrangea comment that you made to me yesterday! We'll see if mine make it. They are on a drip system and seem to be doing well for the past 3 weeks, but it hasn't really gotten hot here yet. So we'll see, they are one of my favorites also. One of the drawbacks to living in Nevada, I guess.

nevadanista said...

44, if we have an extended drought and people have to stop watering their lawns, we might have to head up to Seattle to cut grass. But I'll just have to keep killing hydrangeas here in the desert until that happens, lol. Yeah, send some pics!

Good luck with yours Danila :)