Wishful Thinking

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hangin' With The Berkeley Tree Sitters

On Friday we went to Berkeley to pick up KC Ben (our cousin from Kansas City), who was at Berkeley for a two week summer film camp, so while we were there, we took the opportunity to see the spectical and insanity that is the Oak Grove tree 'sit in'. Ah, Berkeley! There are no words really. Well I guess there are a few, but something like the tree sitters really has to be experienced first hand to appreciate. But here's a small attempt anyway, to convey a little bit of the atmosphere at the Memorial Oak Grove, just west of Memorial Stadium at UC Berkeley, where some tree sitters have been tree sitting for over 600 days to spare The Oak Grove from becoming pavement, or a practice stadium - or something like that. We found out that much more is at stake than just these trees though! Zachary Running Wolf explained to us (it's in my video), that this is about UC Berkeley being a nuclear super power and trying to rule the entire world! So there - take that! ;-)

Zachary Running Wolf

This was like a flash back (and appropriate phrase to use when talking about Berkeley) of the four years we spent living in Humboldt County, California - which I loved, btw :) Oh how I miss constantly hearing about the virtues of hemp and how it can save the world, seeing middle class white kids turned hippie trying their hardest to wear their hair in dreadlocks, and seeing "Save The Headwaters Forest' spray painted everywhere ;-) Well of course I'm being a bit silly, but I do miss those first two things in a strange way. And I especially miss everything being green (I mean the landscape), and the friends we had there.

Wilipedia link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_University_of_California%2C_Berkeley_Oak_Grove_Protest

2 comments:

Danila said...

I just really don't know what to say about this. I guess all I can say is that they have a lot of passion and drive!

nevadanista said...

Well I can say that they're a bunch of freakin' nut jobs!!! But for some reason I've always enjoyed watching absurd people in action :)

Here are some more of Running Wolf's fascinating arguments found on wikipedia:

"The tree-sit was initiated and is still led by Zachary RunningWolf, a former Berkeley mayoral candidate.[13][14] RunningWolf says that construction of the athletic center would be a “a hate crime; we call it Guantánamo Berkeley.”[14] He further argues that the Illuminati and the Masons are conspiring to build the center because "the grove is at the intersection of compass lines connecting the Haas School of Business (money) with Alcatraz (state violence) and the Lawrence Berkeley lab that gave America nukes."[14]

The protest has run continuously since 2006-12-02 and as of 2008-06-19 it was the longest urban tree-sit ever.[15