Wishful Thinking

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Wild Horses

For the last few weeks, I've been seeing articles in the paper about yet another plan to get rid of the wild horses. The issue comes up every couple of years it seems like. Usually, the BLM is accused of having managed the wild horses poorly, or they say no one wants to adopt them, the state doesn't have the money to support them any longer, blah blah blah. I really don't know anything about how much it costs the state, who is responsible, or what the answers to the problem are, I just know I'll be sad if they aren't here anymore! Here's one of the latest articles:

http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008807200339

The horses come and go in this area. Sometimes they're around for weeks or months, and other times they're no where to be seen. Lately, I haven't seen any. I think these horses belong to what is called something like 'The Virginia Range Herd', and they have a large area to graze and wander. But when they're here, I just love driving down Steamboat, and seeing them dot the hills. It makes me happy! They're easiest to spot while driving down Steamboat in the late afternoon and evening, when the sun is shining from behind as you're going east, and there aren't as many shadows. I look for them all the time coming home this way. And of course I love it when they wander out of the hills, and just kind of meander around and do whatever they want - because they can :) I have a lot of pictures and some video, but not all of it is digitized. Here is what I could whip up though.

Dang, forget about the whales! I live in the desert - save the horses ;-)

5 comments:

Jen said...

I'm with you!!! I love looking out my kitchen windows and seeing them wandering the hills behind my house.

Or when Drake has a home football game and the announcer points them out on the hill right above the stadium - a good luck omen for the Damonte Ranch Mustangs.

There's always a five or six wandering around in the Saddle Ridge development which seems appropriate given the name.

You should run for office and take care of this business once and for all!!! RACHEL FOR PRESIDENT or at least RACHEL FOR THE TAKE CARE OF THE WILD HORSE ISSUE!

Devon said...

I am with you Jen! That is one of the things I will miss about Reno, aside from the Lake, seeing the wild horses in the neighborhood. We did encroach on their land!

Anonymous said...

hey ma i like whales too!!

Harlene said...

Remember when the kids at damonte ranch set them free, thinking they were being rounded up for slaughter, when really the "Save the Wild Horse People" were trying to take them somewhere with more food in the winter?

They are charming.

Reno 411 said...

I love that the wild horses crap all over the elemantary school parking lot. When we first moved here, and I saw all the "no horses" signs in Curti Ranch, I laughed. I had no idea that there are wild horses, and that is why there is crap by the school. For the longest time, I thought someone nearby owned and bunch of horses and they were ignoring the signs.
I have seen a herd of them by the school and they are so neat. I am with you about saving them, and screw the whales. Not really.