This was going to be short, with only a couple of pictures to show the differing water levels at Lake Tahoe over the last few years. But then I started getting all nostalgic, and got a little carried away :) We have so many great memories of Sand Harbor! The year of all years was 2006, when the water level, after two HUGE snow years, was SUPER high. That may go down as one of the most fun summers ever for me, and for my kids too. It was the 'Annus Aqua Maximus' (I just made that up, obviously). We never knew there were so many rock jumping possibilities, but with the water so high, there were dozens of safe places to jump and dive. 2007 was pretty good for that too, but even after only one lousy snow year, it wasn't quite the same.
We always have a good time at the lake, but I'll really miss all the friends who have moved away in the last few years. I think they really suck for leaving, and I'll never forgive them. They know who they are ;-) They better come back this summer and go to Sand Harbor with us!!!
Here are pics of some fun times, and also the drastically changing water levels. It seems like every year at the lake is different. Along with the kids changing and being able to do more and differnt things each year, the changing water also makes it a new and unique experience every year.
Late June 2003
There was less water than this in 2004, but I didn't take a picture from this vantage point. This is my favorite spot to spend the day at the beach!!!!!! Anyone who's been to the lake with us knows that :)
2006
The change from 2004 to 2006 was dramatic!
2003
In this picture (that's Sophie, btw), the two rocks circled in white were perfect for diving and jumping in 2006. The highest one circled in pink was also unbelievably jumped by a few crazies (teenage boys). It doesn't look like it, but there was a tiny landing area with a few feet of water.
August 2003 , Josie and Eva You can see how shallow it was, especially for adults. Everyone in this picture would have been completely under water in 2006
August 2003
The tip of the rock circled above, was the only rock poking out a bit by the end of the summer of 2006
2006
You can see here that nothing is breaking the surface
2003 The rock that is circled above, is the same rock Ella and Jessica and Amber Crane are standing on below
2006
This was our combination wind barrier, crawdad haven, climbing wall and jumping trainer all in one
2006
2006This was the perfect place for the young kids to learn how to be brave and jump in, but sadly the water isn't as high anymore :(
2006View of favorite spot from above
2006The main beach in the cove - not much beach that year





5 comments:
Oh Tahoe is sooooo beautiful...you made me nostalgic too and homesick for the fun beach days!
BTW...how do you get your photos all framed on your blog? Share your great knowledge grasshopper!
It's your template. I started out with a template that didn't frame my pics, and it drove me crazy. I thought I was doing something wrong, but the solution was to switch templates. I looked at LeeLou's blog page, but I don't remember if any of hers frame photos. On my other blog, which is on my profile, there is a banner at the top you can click on to look at their templates. They have a lot of really nice ones.
Btw, my very top pic from Sand Harbor was from a day we went together. If you click on it, you'll see one of your girls is burying someone, maybe it's Ryland. And that's Raechel O. in the black shorts.
I love Sand Harbor-we will always remember the Lake as our favorite thing about Reno (even though its not actually in Reno). I can't believe there is that much difference in the water levels over the years-I knew it was a little more shallow this year, but WOW! Love your blog!! :)
Count me IN on Sand Harbor at least once this year! I can go either on Mondays or Fridays if you can. And that is my favorite spot to be too!! That year it was so high it was hard to find a spot there because there were a lot of people and not much beach.
Post a Comment