How cute is this? A boy and his bug. Tuesday evening out at the Hamricks in Mogul, RJ (my nephew) brought in a wounded dragonfly and placed it on the kitchen counter for all of us to enjoy while we made dinner.
The dragonfly wasn't quite dead yet, and was still moving its wings ever so slightly. Ella was appalled at its suffering and wanted it smashed with a rock to put it out of its misery. I don't think that happened - no one volunteered for bug smashing duty. The thing was as practically the size of a small bird, but it did eventually disappear from the kitchen, and is probably blowin' in the wind somewhere. I really like dragonfly art, btw. Stuff like dragonfly garden ornaments, candle holders or jewelry with dragonflies are wonderful, but they're really horrible up close, and you would certainly never want one near your face - unless it was in earring or neclace form.
************************************
This male roosting pheasant (my father in-law Marv informed as to what it is) has been hanging out in the wetlands off of Double R Blvd, just north of Double Diamond Blvd. Ella and I first saw it about three weeks ago. We both couldn't believe our eyes, so I flipped a u-ey (how is that spelled?) and drove past it again. It was a strange sight! Since then, Matt and the girls have seen it on several occasions in the same general area, and yesterday I was finally able to get this picture. Isn't he beautiful? Marv says he used to see these in this area while out surveying, before there were any houses out here. He said there was a hunting club somewhere near the gun club that used to release them for hunting. Hmmmm, maybe it survived some lousy hunters who couldn't shoot straight.***************************************
This is our very impromptu family get together family portrait. It happened that we wanted a picture of all of us (right when I stepped out of the water of course), and when we were looking around for someone on the beach to take it, Robert (in the red shirt next to me in the back) spotted a professional photographer getting ready to shoot the sunset. So he took Janene's card out of her camera, quick thinker that he is, and took it over to the photographer and asked him if he would put Janene's card in his camera and take our picture - and he did :) What a nice man!!! That's how we get stuff done in our family, lol! Never with very much forethought, but it always turns out alright. It was all crazy because we were trying to hurry for him though, and we were running around to get in place so we wouldn't waste too much of his time. Sophie had to be dragged over in the boat because she was too cold from swimming to move or do anything, but it turned out pretty cute I think, for throwing it together in about 60 seconds :)

2 comments:
I love the impromptu family picture. It turned out great. You look way too pretty to have just gotten out of the water.
I love the dragonfly story. Boys and bugs are so predictable. I too love dragonflies, but one in my face, not so much. I am actually decorating the babies nursery, and her quilt has lady bugs and dragonflies on it.
I haven't read your blog in a few days and I missed out on so much!!
I love the dragonfly picture. I'm with Ella, I would totally have been sad to watch it suffer. This coming from a girl who once pulled over her scooter to rescue a caterpillar that was crossing the street and in danger of getting ran over. (I know it's totally pitiful).
Post a Comment