Wishful Thinking

Friday, August 8, 2008

Chinese Cheerleaders

The Chinese athletes are finally making their way into 'The Bird's Nest'. Those poor Chinese cheerleaders (in white with red belts above) haven't stopped flailing their arms and moving their feet for about 90 minutes, and now they've picked up the pace again. But at least their feet aren't bound.

I found myself mesmerized against my will watching the opening ceremonies. The goose-stepping soldiers taking the Chinese flag from the 52 children beautifully dressed in their representative ethic clothing was disturbing. And the military precision of 2,008 drummers looking like Mao in silver, was somewhat reminiscent of the rallies in Nuremberg. But I have to say, the Chinese put on quite a magnificent show that I enjoyed, and I didn't think I would. I hope the rest of the Olympics go as smoothly and that my feelings of impending Chinese Olympic doom will have been completely false.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I found myself watching those poor Chinese cheerleaders rather than the parade!!! Their faces were sure shiny by the end! haha

Harlene said...

Thanks for saying tit outloud. I too, had planned to boycot the games, but wanted to see the "Lost Boy" from Sudan carry in our flag.

I'm waffling about a post on this, how I actually feel, like the traditions and culture they omitted, ie, foot binding, imprisonment, persecution, mass graves, sweat shops, and the like. I know those things are hard to set to music and what would the costumes be?

Miss your candor so!