Wishful Thinking

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Outrage

I seem to have gotten over my early onset Olympic withdrawal easily enough, but now I'm ticked off!!! Can you believe that you can land out of bounds on both vaults, even once with both feet, and still win the gold over someone whose vaults were nearly perfect? I am outraged!!! Outraged I tell you, as I sit here eating bonbons. Now this is worth whining about!!!!! And it was the 33 year old who was robbed, no less. I am livid!!!

And then, to make matters worse, Alicia Sacramone, who fell off the balance beam in the team competition, also did two beautiful vaults, but lost out on the bronze to a Chinese girl who landed on her knees! I don't care about what the start value is, if you land out of bounds or on your freakin' knees, then you should have gone with a lower start value! And by the way, can they PUUULEASE do away with this newer scoring system, and bring back the perfect 10?!

*scream*

But, on a happier note, the old ladies are gettin' it DONE! First, the 38 year old Romanian marathon runner. Not only is she the oldest ever women's Olympic marathon winner, she blew the competition away, and then proceeded to do about 100 victory laps. Then, Dara Torres, 41, in the pool losing the gold by only .o1 seconds, and 30 minutes later anchoring the the women's relay team to another silver medal. And tonight, 33 year old Oksana Chusovitina winning the silver medal (should have been gold) on the vault. WOW!!! I don't even care that she looked like she had just stepped off the Starship Enterprise in that horrid leotard she had on - she can rock whatever leotard she wants doing Olympic gymnastics at 33, and being a mother too!!!!!

7 comments:

Jen said...

I don't understand the new scoring system either!

You cracked me up about the Starship Enterprise comparison, but I couldn't agree more!

Harlene said...

Rock On Olympic Betty!

As for the new scoring system, is there really a start value to rhythmic gymnastics? I'm on a roll with this sport.

nevadanista said...

Oh my goodness! You really do love rhythmic gymnastics, don't you Harlene :D I will be thinking of you when it's on :)

The ladies are about to finish the individual apparatus competition. I'm really anxious to see in what ways the Chinese will land their dismounts out of bounds and on their knees for high scores and medals.

J-Lo said...

Did you see the uneven bars event finals last night with the "tie break?" At least Bela Karoli is around to share his conspiracy theorist views with Bob Costas and the rest of us.

Sandwiched between track, volleyball and gymnastics was also the trampoline event. I'd never seen such a thing. David is convinced he could get his 30 year old body back into good enough shape to train for Olympic trampoline. Of course, by 2012, he’ll be 34. Besides that, I’m not sure it’s legal for men to do Olympic trampoline! I told him he should stick to being a doctor:)

nevadanista said...

That was outrage #2, but I don't have time to post everything I want to say :( And I know you people are very sad about that ;-)

Gotta love Bela Karoli!

"Vhy? Vhy it has to be double heartache for dis girl? Vhy? Vhy it has to be dis incompitence judging? Vhy dey not give her vhat she deserve? Vhy?"

Hey, maybe the next Olympics will be the year of the old men, the way this year has been the year of the old ladies.

J-Lo said...

I looked for that direct quote from Karoli, but for some reason couldn't find it. Kudos to you:)

If 2012 is "the year of the old men," watch out for David-I've-got-mad-hops-for-a-white-guy-Ludlow as he flips his way to victory on trampoline. Wait, I still haven't determined if there is an event for men's trampoline. Since they're dropping baseball and softball, they've got to add a few, right? Guess I better start petitioning.

nevadanista said...

Oh, well I shouldn't have put it in quotation marks. It was actually my imitation, in faux Romanian accent of course, of several comments he made in several different interviews. I think he would approve of the words I put in his mouth :)

Yes, the men do trampoline in the Olympics

http://www.nbcolympics.com/trampoline/index.html

And let it be known that Dave's Olympic dream started right here. I want a piece of any future endorsement monies ;-)