Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Camille Paglia
I've read Camille Paglia on and off for over ten years now. She's an unlikely candidate to be one of my favorite columnists since she's an atheist/feminist/lesbian/pro-legalprostitution/pro-pornographyasartform person. BUT, she's also a brilliant writer/wordsmith/arthistorian/popcultureguru/professor, who acknowledges the hypocrisies of some the leaders and ideologies in the modern feminist and liberal movements (conservatives have them as well, I know), decries the snobbery and elitism of the mainstream media, embraces religious freedoms, and admires the faiths of others - and she makes me laugh out loud a lot. She is a breath of fresh air, even though I disagree with so much to which she personally subscribes. I always thought I must be one of her few LDS readers, but in her latest column, she answers two different letters from LDS fans, and another that mentions Mormons in relation to women's sufferage. There are four pages to this column, and the the LDS letters are on pages 3 and 4, and are printed in bold type. I really loved the letters, and also her warm replies. On page 2 she talks about the reaction of feminists and the media to Sarah Palin. I think she nailed it! Check it out if you like.
I keep meaning to not talk politics on this blog, because I meant it originally to be mostly family and lighthearted stuff, but I keep breaking my own rule. I.will.try.to.stop.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
to be a fly on the wall during a dug-out celebration!
It's okay to write about politics...it will be important to posterity for them to know that you kept up on politics and didn't just sit back and let the world go by...it IS part of family! It is part of you & that's what makes YOU great!
Are you "coming out" as Camille Paglia?
As in "Nome de plume", of course.
Geez! My first attempt at stealth shameless self-promotion, and I've already been outed. Yes, I am Camille Paglia. Actually, the whole Rachel as hetero/mother/housewife/conservative/LDS woman has all been a front to infiltrate suburban Reno stay-at-home mothers who blog, with an eye on eventually taking over the bloggernacle ;-)
Julie, I know what you mean. But on the other hand, I have family members, whom I dearly love, who are as politically (and religiously) opposite me as is possible. I don't think they check in here all that often, but when they do, I want all my peeps to always feel welcome, instead of annoyed by my political views (even though I'm always right ;-)).
Post a Comment