Wishful Thinking

Thursday, October 16, 2008

On Returning to the Gym and a Slumbering Pony

Today I'm in need of some handicap bathroom bars because I went to Body Pump on Monday, and Spin yesterday, after a very loooong absence from the gym. I did actually make my quarterly annual return two weeks ago, but it didn't really hurt because I mostly chatted with gym friends I hadn't seen for a while and did my own thing on weights down stairs, which is code for I really didn't do much at all on my first return. If I don't do a class, I kind of wimp out, tell myself I'll try harder next time, and leave after about 25 minutes of not very strenuous machine assisted weight lifting. But not this week! Now I'm getting serious, and every fiber of my legs' being is screaming out as a result!

On my way home, right before I was to turn into our neighborhood, and before my legs tightened up and while still wearing my spin shoes, I decided to take the 3 or 4 minute drive down by the gun club to see what the wild horses were up to. There are always some there in that general vicinity. Ever since I saw that little clash a few weeks ago with Joanie, I've kind of become addicted to checking them out in hopes of seeing some more excitement, especially since they're so close. Something about the prospect of equestrian violence keeps me going back for more. That's kind of disturbing, I know. But I'm not hoping to see any injuries sustained, just a good old fashioned smack down - and I have! I was always the first one to run to see a fight at school. Again, kind of disturbing. I'm not even a violent person, nor have I ever been in a cat fight. I just have always liked to see innocuous, mild, bloodless, athletic type fights. Like in some martial arts movies in which the fights are basically well choreographed, fluid, and graceful violence. I think I may be revealing too much about myself at this point.

Anywho, I've been going back to look at the horses for a few minutes here and there (a new video will be coming soon), and yesterday I saw an adorable little one lying down for a nap (probably it likes to stay up and blog way past its bedtime). It was out cold in seconds flat (kind of like how fast Matt can fall asleep), and with no other horses very close, I was able to get a closer look. Cycling shoes are apparently just the thing to wear for sneaking up on sleeping horses.

They're not terribly particular about where they lay their heads

Looking the gift horse in the mouth

12 comments:

Harlene said...

Hey chick I've just committed to chatting instead of going in to a body pump class too!

Sweet pony. I find my kids sleeping in those "circumstances" downstairs all the time;)

Anonymous said...

Don't think I could fall asleep in my poop..!! But she sure looks peaceful......!!

Jen H said...

I loved this post. You are seriously too amusing!! Only you would have the impeckable timing to find a cute little sleeping horse. Well maybe others could find that, but only you can find that cute little sleeping horse using poo as a pillow!

Laura said...

I'm totally cracking up! All I could think was "jeder Faser meines Wesens." Remember that line from the good ol' Missionary Guide? What memories!

Crazy Mama said...

Did you have some serious zoom on your camera or were you really testing fate, seeing just how close you could get to a horse slumbering on a poop pillow?

nevadanista said...

It was some semi-serious zoom (12x optical). I rarely test fate anymore because I always have Matt's voice scolding me in the back of my mind :) I mean that in the nicest way possible - and because I'm a mother.

Ja, ganz klar Laura! It seems like someone also said it in Fuer Immer und Ewig. That was full of corniness!!!

Anonymous said...

was it dead??

J-Lo said...

I'm glad the horse doesn't twitch in her sleep like David does, otherwise you would've been in hoof contact peril (even with your zoom distance cushion).

Heidi said...

I admire your tenacity required to get those legs to the screaming point.

J. Baxter said...

Oh the gym. I feel your pain - well, I should be feeling it. If I was feeling pain like that, I'd probably be feeling way better about myself right now.

Love the horsie and his poop pillow - maybe it's like horse aromatherapy.

Anonymous said...

I love fights too for some reason. I love seeing smack downs on any level.

whats body pump?

Sheri Willardson said...

It kind of looks like the horse is SMILING. So funny!!

Love the sunset picture. I might have to hire you to take some pictures of my family-you do a GREAT job with photography!