Happy Nevada Day! Things have changed a little since this picture was taken. Unfortunately, we do have a sales tax now, and Nevada is no longer debt free, but we're still so lucky to live in a state without an income tax - thank you tourists and all people who come here to throw your money away in our casinos. Thank you for helping us keep some more of ours :)
Halloween happens to fall on Nevada Day this year, so it's not just Halloween today, it's also a state holiday. Back before it was voted on to observe Nevada Day on a Monday or Friday in order to have three day weekend, it was always celebrated on Halloween. Matt never once went to school on October 31, and was shocked to find out, when he was nearly an adult, that Halloween wasn't a national holiday :D Doesn't it just seem right to have the entire day off to prepare costumes and get ready for trick-or-treating?
Anyway, we live in a unique state. Here are a few things I've seen in Nevada that were photo worthy. Only a few though mind you. My family gets irritated with me quite a bit for taking so many pictures, so sometimes I spare them the agony of me taking pictures of strange things. Sometime I would love to spend the day taking pictures between Reno and Las Vegas on HWY 95, and do a photo essay. I could spend an entire day in Goldfield alone!
(Do you have any idea what it's like to pull out of a brothel parking lot in your mini-van?)
In Reno we have taxi cab ads battling it out for the bodies and souls of men, because men who visit brothel 'museums' (wink wink) are the only people who ride in taxis.
This is the Worth the Wait ad campaign
And now I have to go downstairs to top off my glass of nightstand water. I've been sipping on it while finishing this post. Good night.
The end

12 comments:
Maybe I never understood the unique-ness of Nevada!
Those are some great pictures. But the whole clown hotel creeps me out! Not the clown aspect---but that apparently it's a kidnapper hotel? Spooky.
Yeah, no picture of the kidnapper hotel? What's up with that?
Hey, I figured out how you can make money and therefore never have to post obnoxious google ads on your blog (like some desperate souls). Why don't you start up "Hamrick Tour Company" and offer to take people on tours of Nevada's less well known attractions? If I still lived there, I'd go on one:)
oh good ol Mustang Ranch! I knew someone who knew some one who got an STD there. sick
Who knew NV had so many cultural treasures?!? I'm voting for a Trabi graveyard somewhere. Don't ya think it'd make money? :-)
Wow! A side of Nevada I've never seen before. Who knew. Thanks? for the tour! :)
I love your header picture. That could have been any one of the kids in my family back in the day. Ahhh Halloween!
Laura, yes! I vote for a Trabi graveyard. If a poker machine and credit card taker could be worked in somehow, it would totally make money :D
j-lo, I was so mad at myself for not taking pictures. But my sister and I had already wasted too much time fooling around on our way to Las Vegas, I didn't want to take anymore time.
You forgot the Nevada song, "Home means Nevada, Home means the hills...." Oh, those photos make me homesick for the WT sights and sounds.
I use to pick corn in front of the Mustang Ranch. I'd be curious to see the inside..ol' Joe was a friend of my dad's, could you believe that...and he always visited him. Ha!
Guess what, Rachel, I'm feeding my horse craving. I'm going to help the horse rescue org. take care and exercise their horses.
Sorry for the personal message, but you never read your emails! Ha!
jenn g. - you've always been so modest about how well connected you are ;-)
From what I understand, the original Mustang Ranch was used for law enforcement training (maybe for fire fighters) and burned down. That's why the 'museum' ad is so funny. Maybe I'm wrong about that though.
My only connection to the Confortes was being caught in the traffic from Sally's funeral procession up near the cemetery by UNR. I can't claim anything more than that.
Have fun with the horses!
OMGosh you are kidding me.
We used to drive to Vegas to visit my family we thank goodness now we fly. But ah, the memories are forver etched in my brain:
OK, I hate Hawthorne: When you drive through it there's this awful mural on a bar that has all kind of carzy sthing depicted on it, on the lower right hand corner there's a n@ked woman running out of an outhouse, what the heck?
There used to be a place, right on the only hard turn you make on Goldfield where this guy had a whole bunch of crap and in front of it all a huge sign that declare that "Not for sale". That was pretty much the highlight of the trip.
Ooops, sorry for my big old comment.
Good for you taking those pics at the brothels...you brave crazy woman ;)
You know I love cemeteries, so obviously your cemetery stuck out to me! That looks totally iconic, old west. So cool!
Post a Comment