Wishful Thinking

Monday, October 27, 2008

Tag - Seven Random Things

I've been tagged by jenn g, thank you. This tag is supposed to be random/weird stuff that no one knows about me. I did one of these tags a few weeks ago, and I think I reveal quirks all the time in my regular posts. But here it goes with some more fascinating details from my increasingly fascinating life. Just remember though, that the juiciest details have to be saved for my memoirs - the memoir that I know will someday be a bestseller - because it will be that amazing! ;-)

Que the violins please...

1. I was teased about my big ears starting in Kindergarten, when my sister Janene called me Dumbo while my mother was cutting my hair (sometimes I was also called Minnie Mouse). That moment was the beginning of a serious complex that lasted about 20 years. Even though I loved to swim and my ears never stopped me, I always dreaded my hair being wet and not having anything to cover them. My grandmother wanted to pay to have my ears 'pinned back', but I was too afraid. She had big ears too, and was never seen without her hair covering them. Because of my complex, I NEVER EVER wore my hair in a ponytail (unless it was when I was very young and didn't have a say in it yet), not even for sports, until I was about 18. A few years ago, my mother got out my grandmother's photo collection, and I discovered my favorite of all family photos below - George E. Rider, my great grandfather and fellow big ear soul-mate, holla! I saw in this photo that things could have been much worse for me!

2. I have to sleep with the open part of the pillow case away from my face - at the back of my head. I usually sleep on my side and I turn my pillow over with me so I will have the open end behind me.

3. I fill a large tumbler with ice and water to have on my night stand every night, but I usually only take two or three sips. It still looks like about the same amount of water everyday when I wake up. But on the rare occasion that I drink more than that, or that Matt's drinks some and it gets near half empty, I know I won't sleep well unless it's full, so I will go all the way down stairs in the middle of the night to fill it back up.

4. I've broken lots of bones:
  • Kindergarten - three fingers playing wheel barrel races. I was the wheel barrel.
  • 2nd grade - two more fingers playing smear the queer (it's not called that anymore, is it?).
  • About 12 years old - cracked two ribs playing goalie. I was kneed in the back, but I saved the goal, so it was kind of worth it.
  • About 13 years old - broke two toes on my right foot trying to kick a boy named Russell. He was sitting on a desk and moved his leg out of the way. They still bother me when I swim in very cold water.
  • 9th grade - chipped my ankle bone at practice trying to stop a fast moving softball soccer style.
  • 10th grade - broke my nose warming up for a softball game. I was watching a soccer game going on on another field and didn't know the ball was being thrown to me. I can testify to everyone, that you never want to have your newly broken nose shot up with novacaine (in the nostril), and then set back into place with a stainless steel broken nose setting tool while still conscious.
  • 11th grade - chipped bone in my right wrist sliding into 3rd base. Those fiber glass casts are really hard to get off early at home and secretly in the bathroom with only your left hand to work the tools with. But it can be done.
  • 27 years old - broke my right radius bone at the elbow playing indoor soccer.
  • 28 years old - shattered my right radius bone at the wrist playing indoor soccer. An emergency surgery by an excellent orthopedic surgeon saved the mobility of my wrist. The pieces were held together by four pins and an external fixator for six weeks. I was all marked up on one hip with a Sharpie for a bone graft, but it wasn't necessary in the end. I scored a bunch of goals against some old ladies that night though, so it was kind of worth it.
  • 5. I get stressed out when I can't find the remote control for my car stereo. Yes, I said car stereo. Matt got me a wonderful new stereo for Christmas that my i-pod hooks up to, and it came with a remote control. It was the best Christmas present ever. Now I don't have to stretch my arm all the way the the console. It's a long 12 or so inches to have to reach, and my arm can become tired skipping through all the songs that come on that I keep meaning to delete from my i-pod. Now I just rest my right arm on my arm rest with remote in hand, and adjust my music with only the touch of a finger. I turn it up, turn it down, skip forward, skip back or hit repeat, all from the comfort of my arm rest. If the remote falls between the seats or is otherwise missing, it's cause for pulling over to conduct a frantic search.

    6. I'm not really into purses and handbags. Sometimes I think it's my duty, as a woman, to be into purses. But try as I may, I just can't make myself want to go to one of those knock-off parties. I just found out what a Coach purse was about a month ago.

    7. I love salsa - the music.

    I will tag some people in my next post because I don't feel like making all the links right now, and because this is my blog and I can :) I still have to post my Sarah Palin pictures too, and another tag. I need to learn how to type faster!

    12 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    ouchie mama about the bone breakage! I have never broken anything so sucks to be you :)

    oh and that car remote thing sounds awesome. I would love to have something like that.

    Jen said...

    Fascinating stuff! There's all sorts of interesting little quirks about you.

    Bummer about all the bones. I used to work for an oral surgeon, so I was feeling for you and your broken nose setting. It always bothered me to hear the "crack" when it's being set back, and it wasn't even my nose.

    Does the remote work on the kids?

    Julie said...

    so do the kids break a lot of bones also??

    the big ear story had me about rolling on the floor when I saw the pic...could have been a LOT worse! (I have never noticed big ears on you btw...but I'm sure I WOULD have if you'd inherited them puppies!)

    Harlene said...

    Love it!

    I have the same issues with the water on the nightstand and the pillow case thing. Very strange.

    Right now I am wishing you could come pick me up in your van with the sweet stereo and go to El Pollo Loco and listen to that salsa music.

    J-Lo said...

    When we first got our car stereo remote I refused to use it telling David it's yet another invention designed to promote laziness. However, I have since made an exception to use it on road trips when I feel it will enhance the safety of my driving, but I'm not very happy about it:)

    Devon said...

    Love it! Your ears do not compare to some others I have known...now the broken bone thing, did they ever think that you were being abused? Great to read even more quirkiness!

    Jenn G. said...

    Thanks for playing, Rachel. A suggestion for your remote...buy a 3M velcro (sticky side) and put one side on your remote and the otehr on the dash...but I guess it only works if you put it back. Ha!
    Love that "big ear" photo, you have been blessed. Your ears are cute!

    allison said...

    crazy about all the broken bones...i thought we had it bad with malorie and all her stiches.

    i have the same issue with my pillow-open end HAS to be behind me!

    carlen said...

    thanks again for the laughs. i always get excited when i see that you have a new post because i know it's sure to entertain!!!

    OUCHIE!!! i cringed all the way through your broken bones detail. and i have never noticed big ears. my daughter chloe came home from school in kindergarten and told me that a boy on the bus teased her because her ears were too little for her head . . . it goes both ways i guess!

    BTW, can i copy your AWESOME halloween music on my blog for this Halloween week! i love it! i am totally bored of my music but i can't remember my login name to change them! PLEEEEAAASE???

    now i should get to this tag too as JG got me . . . i'm quite boring and predictable . . . what can i say????

    Sheri Willardson said...

    Man, I thought I had broken a lot of bones, but you have me beat!

    Brittany Wagner said...

    So I just wrote a HUGE comment and lost it somewhere in cyber world. So basically I can't sleep without water on my night stand either. And it has to be full with ice. Weirdo's we are!! Have you read belly laughs yet?

    nevadanista said...

    Julie - Ella broke her arm when she was 5, but that's it.

    Devon - Matt was afraid the ER doctors would think he had beaten me when I shattered my wrist. But no one ever suspected I was abused. There were always lots of witnesses.

    jenn g - that's a good suggestion!

    Brittany - I haven't read it yet. I can't stop blogging long enough, and I'm alternating book group months with a book group I started going to 9 years ago. When is book group anyway?

    Carlen - absolutely you can post it. Thanks, and I'm so glad I can entertain you! What's your e-mail and I'll send you the HTML code. It won't let me post it here in the comments.