But it's over.
And now, all the things I was going to blog about are old news - in the matter of only a few hours. But I will blog about them anyway, for the sake of the record - but only after I ramble on for a few moments and get all misty-eyed about my gratitude for being an American.
Tonight I'm grateful that the Election of Barack Obama has been peaceful. Tonight I will go to bed disappointed, but not fearing any reprisals for having supported John McCain. I don't fear my neighbors or family members turning me in to a frightening domestic spy agency, or there being a guerrilla militia in the foothills waiting to come down and shoot the place up. I'm grateful that I didn't think for even an iota of a second last night, that it might be dangerous to take my daughter to a political rally - because it wasn't. I didn't have any fear while waiting in line outside that I might be seen, and my name taken note of by the opposition. I'm grateful I was able to cast my ballot today and not wonder if my polling place would be car bombed. I'm grateful there wasn't a need to have armed guards or safety barriers. I'm grateful, that even though my candidate of choice didn't win, I'm not hopeless. In fact, it's possible I'll wake up perfectly content in the morning (although probably a bit irritated), and go about my day as if this election didn't just happen. Even though I couldn't disagree more with Barack Obama's political philosophies, I'm grateful that our country has changed in such a way, that a black man can now be elected president. I'm grateful that the returns have come in decisively enough, that I will go to bed knowing who has won, and that this won't be a repeat of 2000. I'm grateful McCain was gracious in defeat, and that Obama was gracious in victory. But most of all, I'm grateful and proud to be an American who can, and did, vote!
And now on to the news so recently rendered old.
It was lots of fun being with Ella at the Palin rally last night. You can hear her in this clip doing an odd scream, and yelling "you go girl". Unfortunately, the audio didn't pick up her best line, which was her exclaiming as Sarah Palin came out, "oh, that's a cute jacket!" She was really into it and made me laugh a lot!
We were able to get pretty close, which was very cool. I love being up close at these kinds of events, and at concerts. I went to the Palin Rally a couple weeks ago too, and the funnest part was the mosh pit that formed after her speech when she came down to sign autographs. No one was spared in the crushing! Not the children, not the elderly, and not the people trying to get out. The secret service had to keep Sarah from jumping onto us, that's how moshy it was. Okay, they didn't have to restrain her, but it was wild. I went with Judy Elsmore, and somehow she miraculously made her way close enough to pass Sarah our tickets to be signed. Next time you go to a mosh pit type event, go with Judy. She'll get the job done!
Last night's afterward signing was much more subdued and controlled, even though there were a lot more people. But right when she was about to get to where we were, she turned and went up the stairs to make her exit. We kind of gently booed her :)
Here are a few pics
21 October 2008
Being tall with long arms can sometimes be sooo awesome! 21 October 2008
Looking fierce here! But of particular note is her cute bracelet made of buttons and earrings in the shape of Alaska.
3 November 2008
My new celebrity crush. Do you see that he's kind of giving me a wink (wink wink)?
And my favorite political comedy sketch of the year:
***************************************************
Wow! I didn't expect to wake up to a snow covered Peavine Mountain today.


8 comments:
I love that SNL sketch I sometimes think about it all day long.
Todd is totally winking at you, and who can blame him? What's up with Nevada going blue? I think UNR might have had something to do with that. Good ol' Louisiana stayed red;)
I am going to miss the Palin sketches on SNL!!! Although maybe Tina Fey will be glad to get back to her normal schedule...sigh
We do live in a great country-and it is amazing that we get a chance to participate in the electing of our leaders. But yes, I am disappointed too.
Great thoughts on voting. It is great to in America, isn't it?
Okay, okay, I'll vote next time, I promise.
Thanks for stopping by my blog! My daughter and her friend have memorized the Palin rap and sing it ALL THE TIME!
I wonder if you live anywhere near my uncle and aunt, Brian & Diana Crane. He does that "Pickles" comic strip. They live right outside of Reno and I spent many, many days out there wandering the halls of Circus, Circus and such.
I loved that SNL sketch too. Thanks for posting it so I could watch it again!!
I also totally agree with your first paragraph. We are completely blessed to be alive now where we have the freedom to use our voice to choose our leaders. And I am trying ro pretend that I am not concerned about what will happen in the next 4 years.
Post a Comment