Wishful Thinking

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Today in History...

...November 9, 1989, ended up being a significant day in my life - but I didn't know it would be it at the time. That night at about 11:30, my mom called to me from the living room to come and see something amazing on the television. The Berlin Wall had 'fallen', and people were celebrating on it!!!

It was an unbelievable sight to say the least. As a young girl growing up during the Cold War, I didn't think I'd live to make it through high school. I was certain we'd all die in a nuclear war. The fear of nuclear annihilation was acute at times, as was my fear and certainty of dying in an earthquake (that deserves its own post someday). Pretty much I didn't think I'd make it this long. But I digress.

The fall of The Berlin Wall was simply stunning!!! Six weeks later, I received a mission call to the Dresden German Democratic Republic Mission (East Germany), and was even more stunned!!! I was stunned².
It was a privilege and an honor to serve a mission among people who had been religiously oppressed for so long. It strengthened my love of God and testimony immensely! It was the best time of my life, and I am still blessed by the experience today.

I could go on and on and on, but that would take me forever. Here are a few historically fun pics though.

July 1990

The irony of this picture, is that I was breaking a mission rule by standing in West Berlin - West Berlin being part of the Hamburg Mission at that time. So, there we were, with all kinds of wonderful places to shop and visit, only a few minutes away, but we were restricted from going there because of mission boundaries. Everyone who'd lived under 40 years of communism thought that was pretty funny.

Of particular note in this picture is my Beutel. A Beutel is a bag, and everyone there had a shopping Beutel, or a few, because they didn't have any shopping bags in the stores (a plastic bag of any kind was a rare treasure). This Beutel was a pure 100% polyester pinko-commi Eastern Bloc Beutel, and I loved it! It went missing in one of my transfers, and I'm still not over it. I've got it loaded with pieces of The Wall in this picture, and it was pretty tiring getting back to our apartment, as I remember it. Also of particular note in this picture, is that I kind of look like a nun without the habit.

The Kiss of Death - not what it looks like. This kind of kiss was politically expedient for communist leaders. This particular politically expedient kiss was between Leonid Brezhnev (of super scary bushy eyebrow fame), leader of The Soviet Union, and Erich Honecker (of shoot to kill orders and denier of bananas fame), leader of the German Democratic Republic (East Germany). This mural, based on an actual photo which was quite famous, was painted on a memorial section of The Wall called The East Side Gallery. It's entitled 'The Kiss of Death', and on the bottom it reads, "my God, help me survive this deadly love."

The little LDS Branch in East Berlin met here in the bottom floor of this apartment building in a part of town called Friedrichshain. The members were stalwarts who had remained faithful against all odds. They were amazing!

Laura standing at the entrance to the the Friedrichshain Branch.

In 1963, two years after The Wall went up, John F. Kennedy said, "ich bin ein Berliner."

In 1987, Ronald Reagan said, " Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"

In July 1990, I said, "peace."

Das Ende

18 comments:

Jenn G. said...

Thanks for sharing, Rachel. What a great experience!
What's up with the maternity dresses on your mission...jk

Super Happy Girl said...

That's amazing. Wow.
Thanks for sharing your story and pictures.

The members were stalwarts who had remained faithful against all odds. :'-)

*MARY* said...

Wow, what an amazing experience. Thanks for telling us about it.
I don't know much about the Berlin wall; I was only six when it fell, and I was too busy slapping on my slap bracelets.

Heidi said...

No wonder I don't remember when this actually happened--I gave birth to my first child the day before. What a cute missionary!

Laura said...

Oh my gosh! I had totally forgotten the significance of today. Thanks for reminding me. Those were good times in Berlin, eh? Would you believe I have two Beutels that we use as our library bags and three of those mesh ones (remember those?)? Whenever I see stores selling "reusable shopping bags," I feel ubercool because I've had them for years.

Happy November 9th!

Harlene said...

I remember crying in joy and disbelief watching the news.

How fortunate for you to get to serve there!

Devon said...

What a great experience. Thanks for sharing. When I was there the wall was still up, so it is wonderful to hear your story.

Julie said...

Why didn't I know this about you?! That is SOOOOO fabulous!

I have talked about the whole East/West Berlin thing w/ my kids lately & telling them how my dad went in before the wall came down & what a big deal that was.

You are sooo much cooler than I ever thought! (& I thought you were pretty cool!)

Lisa Curtis said...

Wow!! What a cool experience!

nevadanista said...

I have Beutel envy Laura! Were the mesh ones red? I seem to remember them.

Alyson | New England Living said...

What great pictures! You rebel, crossing mission boundaries! :)

I remember when the wall came down. I think I was in junior high, but even being that young I knew it was a historical event.

Laura said...

I'll have to take a picture. They are multicolored: pink and blue; green and yellow; tan and brown. All with posh leather straps good for carryin' long distances from Haltestelles to Wohnungs. :-)

Anonymous said...

yeah your dresses look like they come from the Michelle Duggar Maternity collection ;)

hey just playing off what Jenn G. said :)

love the no bra look. you are such a rebel!

nevadanista said...

Hmmm, I don't remember those kind of Beutels at all Laura. I think I had a red one, but not with leather handles. Apparently I had the ghetto version.

Hey people, why ya'll hatin' on my maternity-esque threads? I was hotness personified back in the day - I had to keep the men away somehow ;-)

Reno 411 said...

That is so cool. I totally remember that, not like you though. What an amazing experience.

Laura said...

Rachel, I'm now featuring a Tour de Beutels on my blog. Enjoy! :-)

J-Lo said...

You look way too cute to be a nun...no offense to anyone who might be reading this from a convent!

Jen said...

WOW! Do a post about the Berlin Wall coming down, and watch the comments come in!

What a great experience. (A mission plus, bonus, serving in East Germany) You were a cute little missionary girl!

Hey, the way you log on to the ward website is:
1. LDS.org
2. About the Church
3. Stake & Ward websites
4. Create account or enter info. (You'll need your confirmation date)
5. Stake home or ward calendar - whatever you're looking for

Now you'll know all the 411!