Wishful Thinking

Sunday, November 16, 2008

South East Reno's Wild Horses - My Pictorial

No one would really know it by this blog, but I'm not really a horse lover - per se. I never dreamed of having a pony as a little girl. I never collected horse figurines or had horse posters on my bedroom walls. I even horrified Ella by laughing during the movie Flicka, when Tim McGraw (easy on the eyes and ears, but a terrible actor) was going to shoot Flicka, and his daughter, dramatically strewn across the horse says, "it's okay, you can shoot us." That just killed me and I had to laugh out loud. I felt pretty bad when Ella looked at me with tears streaming down her face.

So, I've never really taken an interest in horses, until we moved out to this part of town where wild horses roam the hills. They're fascinating to watch, in my opinion. They're graceful, playful, maternal, protective, violent, territorial, curious and friendly. Unfortunately, I'm the only one in the family who thinks so :D No one else shares my enthusiasm :(

I've watermarked these pictures. Mostly it makes me feel kind of important, but I also want to make some money if National Geographic tries to use them. In fact, I'm pretty sure National Geographic will be contacting me soon, providing me with hundreds of thousands of dollars in new equipment, and offering me a featured $pread in their magazine. I'm sure you will agree ;-)

Photobucket

The wild horses tie Reno's landscape together so well I think!

Photobucket

Near the Toll Brothers development

Photobucket

Downtown Reno in the background

Photobucket

Over looking the Donner Springs/Hidden Valley areas, and Sparks

Photobucket

Siesta time

Photobucket

Upon waking

Photobucket

A few of them need some Rogaine

Photobucket

Over looking the Damonte Ranch High School Mustangs football field

Photobucket

Above the Reynon and Bardis development, Peavine Mountain in the background

Photobucket

Seen better days

Photobucket

Photobucket

My grandmother always hated it when my bangs would hang in my eyes like that. This black one is a bad a** stallion, and he was staring me down. I've named him 'The Black Hand'. But don't worry, I was ready to jump in my car

Photobucket

Above Damonte Ranch High School

Photobucket

Munching on the native grasses

Photobucket

Mt. Rose in the background

Photobucket

I see you

Photobucket

In the wetlands

Photobucket

Photobucket

15 comments:

*MARY* said...

These photos are way too good for National Geographic.

Greg and Sariah said...

Wow...those are great pictures. For saying that...do I get 10% of your thousands. ;)

Anonymous said...

I love "Seen better days"

LOVE IT!

Julie said...

awesome! we share your enthusiasm for the wild horses. they have made it into Ferntucky so we see them quite often now...and it never gets dull!

the last pic was my fav

Laura said...

Great pictures. Maybe you can get a bidding war going between NG and Smithsonian? Talk about bucks! :-)

Jenn G. said...

You did a great job capturing the plight of Wild Horse Mary's mustangs!

J-Lo said...

What a brilliant idea to market your pics to National Geographic. That's yet another thing I could do to make money that has nothing at all to do with my master's degree. For now I'll stick to my google ads:)

Alyson | New England Living said...

I've been to Reno/Sparks like a zillion times and never saw these guys. I need to get after my family for not showing me!

Great pictures! I'm glad you figured out my instructions for watermarking. I thought I sounded a bit confusing.

Harlene said...

The pics are beautiful. I miss those horses. I love watching any animal in the wild. Especially how social the horses are, with each other I mean.

I can relate to the one whose "seen better days".

nevadanista said...

Thank you everyone! It'll probably come as no surprise that my new camera equipment and contract is in the mail. And I don't even have college degree career choice regret. See what wonderful things are possible when you're too lame to graduate? ;-)

Heidi said...

I think you are so talented--I especially love the ones that are horse juxtaposed against modern city--it is so interesting and different.

Barbaloot said...

Great pictures. I totally have the desire to go watch 'Man from Snowy River' now:)

allison said...

all the pics. are great! do you just drive/hike around all day until you spot them? just wondering:)

Maria Rose said...

Wow, those are great. I am sure National Geographic is gathering their resources to send you an employment invitation.

nevadanista said...

Allison, they're very easy to spot - even from the freeway if you know what you're looking for. They hang out mostly off the dirt road between where the gun club is (just down from Toll Brothers) and Rattlesnake Mountain. That dirt road is about a mile long, and that's where I go see them most of the time. It only takes a couple minutes to get there.

Don't tell National Geographic, but most of those pics were taken from the driver's seat, or standing next to my car. The most I ever 'hiked' was about 50 feet over to the sleeping pony. The process isn't nearly as dramatic as it may look :)