Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Happy Birthday Ella
Today we focus on Ella and sing her praises...
...but I'll get to the praises later. First let's talk about me.
This particular birthday is freaking me out! Four years ago she turned ten, and that was alright. It was hard to believe, as it is every time you ponder the age of your children, though not too distressing with adulthood still a safe distance in the future. But NOW - now that she's fourteen, it means that in four more years she'll be eighteen, and it seems like she only just turned ten, but pretty soon she'll be off to college and on her own, and then maybe getting married and having babies - and that's just not right. Plus, on Saturday we were in the car and 'The Look of Love' by ABC came on, which was the song that was playing the first time a boy asked me to dance at the first church dance I went to right after I turned fourteen. That moment brought it home to me that Ella will be going to dances now, and that boys will be asking her to dance, which means she's practically engaged already, and that freaked me out a little more. Okay, enough of me, let's get on to Ella (with only a little bit more of me, as it pertains to something she hopes we will do together someday).
One of Ella's greatest dreams in life, is that she and I will go on the Amazing Race. Each week when we watch it, we discuss and decide who will do each challenge. We've already established the she will be doing the sky diving, the scaling of skyscrapers, the eating of über-spicy foreign foods, the hang-gliding, and anything to do with running. I will be doing the swimming, the wrestling of Cholitas (Bolivian women wrestlers), the counting of hundreds of steps leading up to a church or pickets in a fence, the memorization and recital of random locations or foreign language vocabulary, the gathering of exotic cooking ingredients in crowded open air markets, and the milking of camels. I'm pretty sure that, besides the million dollars, we're going to win lots of really awesome Travelocity vacations, a couple of hybrid cars, and some sweet watercraft. Now she only needs to get over her fear of flying (a post about this fear and how it's all my fault may be coming someday - and yes, she does actually want to go sky diving. She just wishes she didn't have to fly to get up there).
Ella has a mind of her own. This is sometimes shocking, as I've worked tirelessly at imprinting my own opinions and tastes on her mind and I was always so sure she would never veer from them, but she always delights and surprises us with her uniqueness. The vegetarianism (fortunately, we talked her back into fish, eggs and chicken until she's on her own), environmental awareness, recycling crusade, leg warmer fondness, desire to spend the rest of her life in Arizona (she's never been), desire to have purple contact lenses (she doesn't even wear contacts), sudden love of zebra stripes, and running cross country and track (she previously didn't like to run) were all unexpected this year. And it was kind of a flashback to my childhood with my step-dad, when she started telling me I didn't need so many lights on. But she's being a good example to us in so many ways, and not just throwing out platitudes. She follows through with what she believes in.
One of the things I like most about Ella, is that she's nice to everyone and has a wide range of friends - boys and girls. She always has something funny to say, and we can't believe some of the things she comes up with. Sometimes I'm jealous I didn't think of some of her thoughts first.
Over the summer, she made me so happy begging me to swim with her every time we went to the lake. It's not hard to get me out in the water, but it was nice to know she still isn't above being seen with her old mother in a bathing suit. Next year might be different though - I hope not. She even wanted me to do the running rock with her, but alas, I was too chicken. But still, she wasn't above being seen with her mother jumping rocks at Lake Tahoe (we did all the others together).
Lately she's been working very hard in math, and has raised her grade from a C to an A. Math doesn't come naturally to her, so the extra effort is duly noted and praised here :) She also is very good at pacing herself on projects, so she doesn't have to cram toward the due date in order to finish on time. She didn't learn that from us, and most definitely not from me ;-)
She's sensitive, caring, loyal, and has a great desire to do what's right. She is a joy to have in our family, our lives our blessed by her presence, and we love her dearly. Happy birthday Ella!!!
I'll leave off with a few of her best looks this year:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
Happy Birthday Ella!!!!
I think you're an amazing person, too, and have been waiting for you to come into the Mia Maids - YEAH!!!!
You can tell what a great person you are by seeing how happy you always are. You're never NOT smiling, and are always willing to do anything - except flying.
Have an awesome birthday!
thank you thank you very much
One more reason to miss Reno!
Ella is fantastic. A bright spot for all of us.
Happy Birthday Ella!
You should note that Chris has big plans for us on Amazing Race, so the million is all ours baby!
I loved this post! She reminds me of my oldest, who is only 11, but it's still freaking me out how little time we have left until she flies away.
I thought it was so funny that you said that she's practically engaged! haha
How funny! As I was leaving my last comment, I got an email come through on my phone that said you just left one on my blog. How weird that we're on each other's blogs at the same time!
Happy birthday, Ella! I haven't watched the Amazing Race, but I sure would if you two were on. Non-stop entertainment around the world? What's not to love about that?!
"Happy Birthday Ella" You are a special girl...and I love how your always smiling and up...!! I hope your dream comes true to do the Amazing Race.... that would be awesome..!! See ya soon
Grandpa and Joanie
I hear you are a big fan of mine and I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday. Have a beautiful day.
Happy B-day Ella! (Wow & even a b-day comment from Joe Jonas!! Could it GET any better??!)
Happy Birthday, Ella! Tell you mother that you're in the "Golden Years!", or maybe she is. :-)
What a cutie-patootie! My only daughter turns 14 on her next birthday, too. I would just be happy if she could bring herself to wear pink sometime before then.
Happy Birthday Ella! It is hard to think of you growing up, but it is coming before we know it! And neither you nor Harlene will be winning the million bucks on Amazing Race, because that is for Michael and myself!
Have a great day Ella!
Rachel, your memory amazes me. I definitely don't remember what song was playing when I got asked to dance for the first time when I was 14. He must've been some kind of catch!
That was a great tribute to Ella and she's a great girl.
Post a Comment