1920's
If you read this post, then I need not tell you who the man is in the above photo - his silhouette is a dead giveaway. The woman with him was his wife, my great grandmother, Alma Marie Rocklage. They belonged to different political parties and were pretty hot headed about their respective opinions. The story goes that they really enjoyed cancelling out each others votes. He suffered many years from a lung disease (emphysema I believe) and became ill and died after standing in the rain at a political rally in 1933, as my grandmother explains (I just love hearing her voice again) in this short audio clip recorded by my mother in 1984.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Election Day Special, Part 1 - Deadly Dedication
1920's
If you read this post, then I need not tell you who the man is in the above photo - his silhouette is a dead giveaway. The woman with him was his wife, my great grandmother, Alma Marie Rocklage. They belonged to different political parties and were pretty hot headed about their respective opinions. The story goes that they really enjoyed cancelling out each others votes. He suffered many years from a lung disease (emphysema I believe) and became ill and died after standing in the rain at a political rally in 1933, as my grandmother explains (I just love hearing her voice again) in this short audio clip recorded by my mother in 1984.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
I love that photo! I love your grandpa's big ears :) and your grandma's hat :) awesome. That is a very cool recording as well.
What a fabulous history! Thanks for sharing!
How great to have recordings like that. You better get out and vote today or your great grandparents may get after you!
What a treasure! I will think of them when I vote today.
David and I enjoy a good political "debate" as well and frequently differ in how we view things. It makes for good fun:)
Awesome post! Think how far we've come!
I too come from a long history of couples cancelling each others votes. It makes for great discussion in your homes.
Post a Comment