Wishful Thinking

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

My Day in Pictures, 20 Novemeber 2008, Part 1

Harlene issued a challenge (tag?) to do a day of our lives in pictures. I became a bit carried away and was writing way too much. The length of the post was getting out of control, so I'm breaking it up. I didn't want to leave out any details that might be uplifting to another woman, in the way that learning of an other's short comings and failings can sometimes be secretly gratifying or validating. I'm all about giving back to the community like that, so here's Part 1 of a day in my life.

I started out Thursday, November 20, by preparing a delicious nutritious breakfast for my children.

Hmmm, I should rephrase that and say I prepared a delicious nutritious breakfast for Sophie. Ella had already left for junior high, and Eva didn't like what was cookin' so she decided to have cheese and crackers, which she scrounged up herself. I've taught my kids to be resourceful that way ;-)

Then I helped Eva and Sophie get ready for school, although Eva needs little, if any help, so it was mostly Sophie who (whom? I never do get that right)I prodded along. Only a couple of minutes before the bus came (the bus stop is literally in front of our house), Eva reminded me that she needed lunch money. I had her run out to the car where my purse was (yes, I know it shouldn't have been out there over night) because I didn't have a bra on yet and there were kids waiting for the bus, but when I took out my wallet, I didn't have any checks left. I called Matt to ask him where the new checks were, but suddenly time was running out quickly, so I decided to find some cash for Eva since there was no time to make a cold lunch. I found a twenty, handed it to Eva and sent her on her way, but Sophie still needed her shoes on and to brush her teeth. So, even though getting Eva and Sophie to school couldn't be any more easy or convenient, Sophie missed the bus and I had to take her myself. I meant to take a picture of the bus and the school, but forgot - so this pictorial is quickly turning into an extremely boring and longish essay about my inabailty to gets my kids on the school bus that picks them up mere yards from our door.

After dropping off Sophie, I'm not gonna lie, I stopped at 7-11 to get a diet (I had my bra on by that time).

When I came home from doing all that, I was going to clean up this mess before going visiting teaching because Emilie Carpenter was coming over right after that to help me finish the apron I started at Fabulous Friday in October (hemming the straps was the extent of what I accomplished there in 3 hours), and I was pretty sure she wouldn't like me anymore if she saw my kitchen and living room like this (I purposefully didn't snap a shot of the sink area).

But after sitting down to check the news and look at a couple blogs, I decided that she would indeed still like me if I didn't clean up, and kept right on blog stalking. I had to get ready and take a shower though, so after a few minutes, I had to stop and get myself together.

I met Nicole, my VT partner and nursery comrade, at Melany's for some visiting teaching. When we arrived, Melany was hard at work doing her weekly cleaning, which caused a pang of guilt to sweep over me because I don't have a weekly cleaning day. It happens on more of a needs, having visitors or sudden inspiration basis. We had a very nice visit though, and talked about simplifying our lives based, on L. Tom Perry's talk from General Conference. I had my camera in my pocket, but thought it would seem dorky to ask to take a picture in order to post it on my blog, even though they both have blogs and would have probably agreed wholeheartedly that it was an excellent idea to record my day in pictures, and opted to leave the camera in my pocket. So far this pictorial is sucking! But it'll get better in just a minute, I promise. But first, some more boring details

On my way home from VT, Matt called to tell me Marv and Joanie (my in-laws) would be coming to town Friday afternoon (the next day) and would be spending the night, so I determined at that moment that I would spend every extra moment, between the time Emilie left and the kids came home from school, cleaning and making everything in my house and life look perfect.

Emilie arrived only a few minutes after I got home. We immediately began talking about the Twilight girl's night out the next night, and Emilie did an awesome imitation of Bella whining. It was at that moment that I imprinted on her, but not in the creepy way Jacob imprints on Bella and Edward's vampire baby, but in a new Twilight BFF kind of way.

I didn't quite capture the exact right moment because my flash was taking forever, but this is Emilie laughing right after her brilliant performance.

After laughing about Twilight for a few minutes, Emilie showed me how to work my new sewing machine...

I'm inspired each time I see that Project Runway logo

...because I still haven't looked at the manual and have only sewn one thing since my 8th grade homemaking class, which was on my mother in-laws machine. She showed me how to wind a bobbin...

...and she also showed me how to thread it and all that. We worked on the apron for about an hour. I have to say that my work was pretty impressive! We weren't able to finish, but Emilie helped me well on my way. She left a little before 1 pm I think.

Consider yourself imprinted upon if you read this far :)

Stay tunes for more in a few days...

*****************************************************

Hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving! We'll be at my sister Janene's in Roseville, and then on to Marv and Joanie's - she'd better have everything spic -span for us ;-)

Ciao for now peeps :)

10 comments:

Heidi said...

What a great idea! Love it!

Harlene said...

You have totally imprinted on me!

You will note, I didn't do any cleaning or show any photos of my lack of cleaning.

I can't wait for the next installment!

Jenn G. said...

Love the "Project Runway" logo on your machine.....where did you find that piece of work...QVC?
You are too funny!
Okay I have to admit, my blood pressure did go up a bit looking at your kitchen table, until I saw the cleaning spray bottle amongst the mess. Ha!

Ramblings said...

this is a fun project! we may all breathe a sigh of relief when we discover others really do have weaknesses (just as we do), but i think it is precisely what makes them instantly more endearing and enables us to bond with each other in a way that can't happen when things are "PICTURE PERFECT"! (like the pun?) your honesty and humor is always refreshing and delightful and i can't wait for part 2. i might just have to try this myself! BTW i do not know what "IMPRINTING" is in terms of the TWILIGHT series, but i have only read the first book . . . so maybe i'll find out soon enough!

Ramblings said...

oops! i'm sitting here with my husband's laptop watching law and order with him and catching up on your blog at the same time (how's that for multi-tasking?) so that's why the last quote (and this one) are from "RAMBLINGS". that's matt's blogger log-on. it's just me (Carlen). also i meant to say that your apron fabric looks adorable! you're going to have to post a pic of that when you're finished too!

Laura said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Rachel! Can't wait for more of "A Day in the Life." Too bad we didn't have blogs back in the day. "A Day in the Life of a Missionary in Berlin" has some real potential.

Jen H said...

You are too funny! I love the random 'imprinting'comments!! Ha!

Jen said...

I can stand the suspense!!!!

nevadanista said...

Hey Carlen, thanks. But I have to give credit to Emilie for choosing the fabric. She had everything cut out and ready to go. But I would have chosen the exact same thing!

Oh, and 'imprinting' comes later on. I can't remember exactly when, but basically, it's when a werewolf finds his soul-mate.

Super Happy Girl said...

Maybe if I got myself one of those fancy and magical Project runway machines I could do awesome things!