Today I'm introducing my own recurring day of the week theme which I've made up myself, complete with alliterative title and everything. It's inevitable that in every blogger's blogging career, kind of an unwritten rule, an alliterative day of the week theme will be attempted at some point. So here's my version.
Why Musical Memory Monday? Because I remember much of my life in song, I enjoy writing about the past, and of course because Monday is the only day of the week that starts with 'm'.
I'll start with one of my favorite musical memories, which happened when I was about ten or eleven, and my sister and I had stayed the weekend with our Aunt Julie and Uncle Greg.
I had been listening to my new Donna Summer On the Radio: Greatest Hits Volumes 1 & 2 most of the weekend.
I can still remember just what their stereo receiver looked like, and where it was in the corner of their dining room, and how I could hit every note of 'On the Radio' perfectly ;-) But that's not actually the musical memory I intended to write about. What I'm thinking of took place when Greg was taking us home.
We were on the freeway, the 10 I believe (they lived in Fullerton and we lived in Hawthorne), with the radio blasting, and 'Light My Fire' by The Doors came on. We were all singing along and rockin' out, and in the middle of the song, my uncle shouted over the music, "can you believe Grandma hates this song (the grandma who made the refrigerator cows) and always made me turn it off?"
What????!!!!! We were scandalized! How could she? It was unbelievable!!! Oh the humanity...
My grandmother didn't like much music at all, especially not rock, and would always say, "I just can't stand that beat
beat beat beat beat!", while pounding her fist louder and louder with each 'beat'. It would always make us laugh, she'd get so worked up about it.
I always think of my Uncle Greg whenever I hear this song!
Light My Fire - The Doors
5 comments:
how could your grandma not like rock??? thats funny about the beating her fist to the beat. I can totally picture that.
I will look forward to Mondays from now on. As long as it's not raining. Because you know, "rainy days and Mondays . . . " I love your grandma of the refrigerator cow.
Haha! That's a great story! I'm so glad you stopped by! We can both do our musical memories together! ;)
love LOVE LOOOVVEEEE that song! Better not play it though, must resist, someone needs to cook dinner and it is probably most likely moi. sigh
Isn't it awesome how music just transport you back to good times!
Happy New Year!
Post a Comment