When I opened this cute little refrigerator cow my mother gave me for Christmas, I was immediately taken back to my childhood - and specifically to my grandmother's refrigerator door. My grandmother made this one in fact. My mom found it recently among some things that fell out of a box in her garage. Coincidentally enough, it matches my kitchen, and the other cow that was with it matches my sister's (she will be getting the other one, but she only reads my blog about once every six weeks (even though she says she loves me), so I'm sure this won't spoil her surprise).
I think my grandmother made one of these cows for everyone she knew, and thought it was about the funniest thing in the world. I can't remember her not having one on her fridge.
And obviously, my grandmother was way ahead of her time with her savvy text lingo! 'R U eating again?' She would definitely have had unlimited texting, I just know it.
She's always in my thoughts, even though she died when I was 17. I remember her as clearly and as vividly as if she were sitting here with me now. I'm so glad her clever cow will be watching me each time I open the fridge :) It's my favorite gift this year (no offense to Matt and the beautiful watch he gave me for Christmas, that I love and couldn't stop looking at today - not to find out the time, but to admire it).
It came with two matching crochet butterflies. Finger prints were removed from the immediate area surrounding the cow for this picture, but all the others still remain :)
Spray painted alphabet pasta - doesn't get any better than that
Thanks Mom!

10 comments:
Holy Cow I love it. I love things like that too bringing back memories. Seriously that magnet has really held up. It still looks brand new.
What a great gift & surprise!
And spray painted macaroni - she was a clever one wasn't she!
I know Shellie, I thought my mom had made it, but I guess it was in a zip-lock back all these years - at least 25.
Yeah, she was a clever on Jen!
Oh, our grandmothers were so clever! Love it!
That's one cool mom.
BTW, my fridge has no fingerprints at all. Just sayin'
At first I thought the butterfly was a "gassy cloud"
Hey Rachel! I love your blog! I am glad you are doing so well. Just remember--no one loves you like the way I love you!!
I'm a follower now,
Khristine
I love it. Really who thinks to spray paint alphabet pasta?? That is uber-steller. What a lady!!
Ha NCS! I see what you mean. You've got Father Al on the brain constantly, so that makes sense :)
Hi Khristine, I thought of that song when I was reading your blog last week. I always think of you when I hear it!
I think I need that magnet on my fridge....I love those Grandmother magnets! Happy New Year!
Post a Comment