...as I said in Part 3, I'm an extremely slow eater! I like to start out with my food piping hot, because it just may be stone cold by the time I'm done. So it took me much longer than what I had time for at El Pollo Loco.
But at last, I was on my way to the fabric store. In the car, 'Lowdown' by Boz Scaggs came on my i-pod, and that's a two timer - a song that must be listed to twice. I hit repeat.
I knew which fabric I wanted when I went into Jo-Ann's. I'd seen it a couple weeks earlier when I was there looking for a sewing machine carrier. It was kind of hippie-ish, and had the colors of the kitchen I had in mind for this new apron project. But, I couldn't find it, even though I had found the other hippie-ish fabrics.
A pang of guilt swept over me at the thought of all the cleaning time I was wasting when the apron fabric didn't need to be purchased that day - or the next for that matter. I didn't want to settle on anything else however, because I had an artistic vision, and nothing else would do. So I wasted more time searching and searching. Finally it paid off! I found the fabric, which I can't post because it's going to be a gift, and then felt much better and less guilt ridden. I knew I would be able to create a masterpiece that would make up for my time mismanagement.
On my way home at about ten minutes to three, I realized I didn't have anything to make for dinner - yet another pang of guilt took hold of me. I had wanted to make something new because we'd had tacos three nights in a row and I was going to the temple that night with the Relief Society. I thought it would be nice to make my family a tasty and nutritious meal before leaving for the evening, but I hadn't given it any thought until that moment. So I headed for Wal-Mart kind of stressed out. Thinking of what to make for dinner makes me wanna puke real bad! Someone just please tell me what to make.
As luck would have it, I ran into Nancy, whom I love and admire, at the entrance.
She was on her way out and had just purchased what she needed to make a chicken pasta dish using pre-cooked rotisserie chicken. That was brilliant - I was elated! I could see the rotisserie chicken under the portable heat lamp cart from where I was standing. She told me the recipe, I took mental note, and was off to buy what I needed.
Running into to Nancy and being given a dinner plan freed my mind to think of some things I had been meaning to get. So before I forgot what I had just remembered, I went straight to the light bulb aisle to find a special light bulb for a birthday present Eva received three years ago (a s'mores maker), that I spotted the previous week while cleaning out the garage, for which I had never remembered to buy said special light bulb.
Eva will love that s'more she'll make (still don't have the chocolate, marshmallows or graham crackers yet) ever so much more after having waited three years for it. This is how I teach my children patience and gift appreciation.
I finally arrived home at 3:40, right as the bus was dropping off the girls. So, my day wasn't going quite as planned, but it was going as usual.
The last, the final blessed installment, coming soon...
Friday, December 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Seriously, who else could write 4+ posts about an average day in their life and have me anticipating each instalment!? You are fabulously entertaining.
Well, there's the difference between you and me - I'd never feel guilt if I had nothing to make for dinner. One of these days I need to figure out how to be domesticated! Or at least feel some guilt over not doing what I should be doing, dang it.
How does a smores maker work? I mean, isn't it a rather simple operation? I'm really curious now. You must tell us!
Ddi you get any weird stares from strangers as you snapped a photo of the lightbulbs in wal-mart?
I waited until there wasn't anyone on that aisle J-lo :)
Alyson, I left out the part about how many nights I haven't planned anything for dinner. But don't worry, my guilt is usually fleeting, as I am so easily distracted.
Oh wow Jen H, thanks for the compliment! Umm, but maybe you're very easily entertained :D ;-)
Oh, and Alyson, this thing has a plastic dome over the heating element, which is the light bulb, and you stick your marshmallows onto the dome to cook them. But, I haven't actually put the light bulb in and tried it yet. What could be more thrilling though, as a 6 or 9 year old, than to cook marshmallows in the kitchen over a light bulb???
This is one of my favorite series of blog posts in a while. I agree with Jen H--you're fabulously entertaining!
You may not want to hear this, but I actually feel better about myself now:)
Ouch! Being uplifting can hurt sometimes :D
Post a Comment