Wishful Thinking

Monday, December 1, 2008

My Day In Pictures, 20 November 2008, Part 2

...as I was saying, Emilie left at about 1 o'clock. That was when I was to begin cleaning for Marv and Joanie's visit, but as I was very enthused about my apron and had decided that it would a wonderful thing to make one for every woman and girl in the family and that I should get started post-haste, I left for Joanne's Fabric the second Emilie was gone. I don't believe in finishing a project before starting a new one (or two or three or ten). I live by the creed (which I just made up, btw) that creative juices flow best when there are many more important things to be done. And so off I went, promising myself I would make it a fast trip, and be back to do my cleaning within the hour.

As I approached the Neil Rd exit though, something happened which I hadn't planned on - my car went on auto pilot and started heading for El Pollo Loco. I didn't really have time for it, but I was getting hungry, so I promised myself to be very quick. I would clean extra fast when I got home.

After my car started driving itself to El Pollo Loco, I rememebered I had forgotten to give Emilie the baby gifts I'd bought for her last baby shower that I had missed, back when she was pregnant with the twins (she is due with a new baby in 2 weeks and the twins are more than a year old). I found the gifts while cleaning out the garage recently. My inner-self said, "you're such an idiot!"

She came over again Saturday night though, the 22nd, and I did remember to give her the stuff then - still in the Target bag and everything.

When I pulled into the parking lot, I realized that I'd left the book I'm reading at home (I've already read it twice before). That bummed me out, because Kristen Lavransdatter, who has done so many things she regrets, and for which she feels true remorse and Godly sorrow, was about to go into a church and pour her heart out to God. I was looking forward to being touched and maybe even becoming a tiny bit weepy over my chicken. But instead, I settled on this book.

It's a postcard history of Lake Tahoe that's been floating around in my car for a few weeks. Instead of a spiritual experience, I learned that 64 streams flow into Lake Tahoe, but only one river flows out - the Truckee River.

I don't think this day in pictures is ever going to end. I'm only finishing it to prove that I can finish something. Why didn't I just post a few pictures with short captions like everyone else? I want to harm myself right now.

To be continued - maybe...

6 comments:

Alyson | New England Living said...

The fact that you had a gift that you didn't give until you happened to find it in the garage makes me like you and relate to you all the more!

El Pollo Loco? I haven't heard that name in forever!

Jen said...

Rachel, I think we were twins separated at birth! BTW guess what song I just downloaded.

I've made a special folder on my iPod just for Rachel's musical advent songs

Camille said...

lols...and I've been wondering about those Kirsten books, I've had them sitting in my bookshelf for 9 years and have never actually read them...are they good?

Devon said...

Keep the day coming! It makes me realize how much we have in common.

Laura said...

It's like you're channeling me. Scary!! Love the ghetto song, by the way. Can't wait for more of the Adventskalendar!

nevadanista said...

Wow, are you all telling me you're as lame as I am? Thank you :) Thank you so much :D You get me!

Oh my goodness Jen, I feel special to have a playlist on your i-pod! Also, I feel a little pressure now. Will my picks live up to your expectations?

Camille, the Kristen Lavransdatter trilogy are the most deeply moving books I've ever read!!! And on so many levels. Those three books are a spiritual experience - for me. They were also about the most challenging books I've ever read, as far as names, places, events, etc., but so worth it, in my opinion. I think I will read them every few years for the rest of my life.

Okay Devon, I will press forward :)